• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Mud & Snow Help Please.

edpdx

I just got back from a hunting trip here in the Great Pacific Northwest. I never ran my Blazer up roads like these before. I did slip bad a few times; but managed ok. In a month I have an Elk hunting trip and the terrain will be muddy/snowy. I am up for new tires with aggressive enough tread that I won't (I hope) have to chain up.

I went to Tyr R@ck and looked but I don't know if the tires they call "maximum traction" are what I need.

Can anyone recommend a 31x10.5x15 tire with the type of tread I need. If the ones at that site are in any of your opinions as good as mud/snow tires need to be, please, by-all-means, let me know.

Thanks,

Ed

DieselJunkie

i have your answer right here they are made by goodyear and they are called Wrangler Authority and you can only get them at walmart I know what you might say walmart but the traction and performance and a great price I have know other options I have personally owned my set for two years now. i have had alot of tires and alot of trucks and these are the best i mean the best tires that i have ever owned on a 4x4 usually by the best i can get my hands on but I took a gamble with these and boy have they done everything I wanted and then some. Where i hunt, fish, trail ride, camp etc. is always deep up in the moutians are so far back in the woods most people would not rather go. And the plus of getting them from walmart is there is a walmart everywhere so if you are in a bind and need a new one they are not far away. But for those specialty tires and all the ones that have to be ordered shipped and the extra money those you will have to wait a while for unless you are lucky. So as long as they are making these tires i will be putting them on any truck I own.

epitts

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

"you can go 33x12.5 stock to give you some more traction"

Even though I run BFG All Terrains in this size, you'll get more traction with a narrower tire, if you're concerned, stick with the 10.5 width. Its all about ground pressure.

hilber

I jsut put Cooper A3's on miy 98 Z71 and am very pleased. I have to put tires on my 1009 shortly and was considering them also, but I like what was said by DiesleJunkie about the Goodyears at Walmart, I will go look a those. My problem with Walmart is service.

jimmy-90

Interco supper swamper tires are superior to pretty much everything else for mud. you can get the TSL swampers in bias or radial in a 31x10" size. For maximum traction in mud the swamper boggers are the best. They are not available in 31x10" though only 31x12" which might be to wide for your stock rims.

jdeoliveira74

i have your answer right here they are made by goodyear and they are called Wrangler Authority and you can only get them at walmart I know what you might say walmart but the traction and performance and a great price I have know other options I have personally owned my set for two years now. i have had alot of tires and alot of trucks and these are the best i mean the best tires that i have ever owned on a 4x4 usually by the best i can get my hands on but I took a gamble with these and boy have they done everything I wanted and then some. Where i hunt, fish, trail ride, camp etc. is always deep up in the moutians are so far back in the woods most people would not rather go. And the plus of getting them from walmart is there is a walmart everywhere so if you are in a bind and need a new one they are not far away. But for those specialty tires and all the ones that have to be ordered shipped and the extra money those you will have to wait a while for unless you are lucky. So as long as they are making these tires i will be putting them on any truck I own.
hows the ride?? are they noisy? look beefy and pretty bad ass for the money
thanks

truck1

In addition to whatever tires you choose,it is well advised to have 2 sets of tire chains(heavy duty truck with spring tensioners) for all 4 wheels.Where we hunt in CO.,they are mandatory no matter how aggressive your tire tread.The mud is the worst,and add incline without them your an accident waiting to happen.Been there done that.Have a great hunt!2cents

Last edited:

Hightechken

I picked up a set of 31X11.50 "Mud" tires from a kid for cheap, And I can see why. Although the really big lugs DO provide good traction in the dirt/mud, On the highway they are REALLY noisy! Be careful with the really big lug tires if you want to have an enjoyable highway ride too!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bfg mud terrain

Videos of running bfg mud terrain . . . . or upgrading to a new, quiet tire.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qGYnrwz-e8[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2t-ds8A9Lo[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqvDw_vYDQ[/media]

Ear plugs

NC Cucv

I am currently running the good year wal mart tire 31's on my cucv. Cost around $150 not too bad as a on/off road tire. But
if you are looking for a really good off road tire I would strongly reccomend looking at the Super Swamper TSL or Boggers.
If you drive a lot on road though they can be loud and wear faster than most.

Speedwoble

I am assuming in a month you may be a little more concerned about ice in addition to the snow/mud. Consider these:https://www.treadwright.com/p-12-31-10-50r15-guard-dog-m-t.aspx

You can select the "Kedgegrip" option which has ground up glass in the tread. This is just like continually replenished studs. I had a set of these back in 2004 on a shortbed 2wd pickup and it turned it from undrivable on ice to pretty good. They make a huge difference in traction.

Now these tires are retreads, some people don't mind, some do. The ones I got from them were all the same brand to start with, so the handling was fine. I did get a bubble after 15K miles on one tire, but they shipped me a replacement and I had no further problems until they wore out.

Jersey4x4

I second the BFG KM2 I had interco truxs and they ware real fast, the mickys are real hard on the road and tend to slide in the rain, and I am a brand name person so off the wall odd ball tires I have never been a big fan of. I have had the KM2s for about 2 years and they hold up great and look good.

either mickey thompson mtz or bfg km2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks