• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Mystery part?

Tongloong

Can anybody tell me what this was used for? It was slid over the end of the steering knuckle and the tie rod end went through the hole in the middle. It added the forward hole that would have moved with the steering but I can't fathom what for. It came off of a 1990 K20 Suburban 6.2l diesel that was used at a military testing and research facility in Biloxi. I have been working on square bodies my whole life and have never seen this.image.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me ask a question because I don't understand this whole 'death wobble' thing. It seems to me like if your truck has death wobble there's something that needs to be fixed, and the stabilizer is only dampening the wobble. Is that even safe to do? Seems dangerous to me if you make the symptom go away but the wobble is still there.

Kaiser67M715

Let me ask a question because I don't understand this whole 'death wobble' thing. It seems to me like if your truck has death wobble there's something that needs to be fixed, and the stabilizer is only dampening the wobble. Is that even safe to do? Seems dangerous to me if you make the symptom go away but the wobble is still there.
what your saying is correct, people put dampeners on to "Cure" their wobble, when all that is happening is the dampener is masking the vibration, so the actual fault is still there and could cause a large failure without warning. one should never need more then one dampener( it does help reduce strain on the steering box, but can also mask problems- win/lose scenario, benefits vs risks)

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change the bushings and springs in the front nuckles to fix the problem
with the death wobble. Good idea to change the bearings while you are at it.
There is a kit out there that covers this. You will need a special allen head tool.

cucvrus

My expereince has been that if the truck has the wobble with stock size tires. I change all the tie rods and the stering damaper and call it a day. i have had others that the brake calipers were slightly hung up on the mounting brackets and sticking. I removed the calipers sanded the mounting surfaces with my 2" rolok grinder and lube them up good and that cured the problem. Others it was caused by old tires that were oblong and out of balance. I feel in the30 + years of dealing with these I never had a concrete cure for it and could put my finger on just 1 thing. I do know if you have a truck that has the wobble it seems to stick with the truck till you find the issue. i never changed any of the bearings and caps in the axle. i always greased mine good and pushed old grease all out. I have put a few steering boxes on to help fix it also. I have all new springs , new steering linkage, new rebuilt steering box and new Goodyear Duratrak tires in LT23585/16 E range stock size. In 10 years of driving Big Red I never had experienced the wobble. I always had new matching tires and maintained the service on the tie rods , brake slides and steering damper. That all seems to help IMHO. But yes I have covered this before with negative fanfare. I tend to keep it simple and keep things the way they were designed. It keeps the multi-million dollar CUCV design in check and operating instead of throwing it out the window with big tires and a lift kit. I know I said that before also. Have a great day. Keep lifting them and hacking them up. It makes the original ones more rare and valuable. Peace man.DSCF7202.jpgBig Red is all stock except the paint and snow plow package w/ springs.

Skinny

I've run a few rigs with no stabilizer with oversized heavily offset tires with zero issues. They also had crossover steering with a good draglink angle, very tight frontend, and new knuckle bearings so it can be done. The stabilizer just adds drag to the whole system to prevent it from happening. I agree, it is just a band aid.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somehow this got switched to a death wobble thread. The bracket in question may or may not have been used for a stabilizer but it is unlikely that death wobble was the issue. The vehicle it came from never came with a 60F.