• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Never Ending Problems

Hoolio

Am I the only one out here that is plagued with continuous problems with a M1028A1 ??? I have had Chevys for years and not had such fits with one particular vehicle as with this truck...I bought it almost 2 years ago with only 2486 miles on it [ ILNG9N ]... Everything from starter / flexplate to Injector pump to transfer pump to fuel filter to start relay to you name it....Today it sounded like it consumed part of a glow plug..A light tapping in the engine.. I'm ready to put a 350 gasser into it..Might be a little more reliable than that junk 6.2....I know I'll miss the fuel economy , but I'm not impressed with the reliability of this engine..

dragonwagon

Seems like a lot of folks on here have had good luck but your story is a little more how i recall the 6.2 , 6.5 was not any better for reliablity . Bought one new and all gm had was excuses for not covering stuff under warranty .

Hoolio

It seems like everytime it turns to getting cold out , the demons rear their ugly head....Again... Snow's on the way and this thing decides to crap out ..I dunno, Maybe it's bad carma or something supernatural..I hate to dump the truck, It just looks boss with the chassis lift and bigger summer tires/wheels..I had NO luck with a '05 Silverado..Got rid of that POS at 37,000 miles and glad it went away.. What's left ?? Dodge ?? NO...Had a '97 Ram that went back under warranty 16 times [2 times on a hook].I'm 59 and NOT hard on a vehicle....Definately not a Ford..I've been saddled with 2 F-550's at work....Kinda wish I still had my '79 Blazer...I got this '86 M1028A1 and was really hoping it would work out beter than it did..Thanks for listening to my rants..I feel a little better now...Roy

67_C-30

A light tapping in a 6.2 is usually either an injector or a collapsed lifter. Neither are a real big deal, and not too hard to fix. To check for an injector, use a stethoscope or a piece of wood and put it on each injector and find the one that tapping the loudest. Once you find it, grab a 19mm or 3/4 wrench and loosen the injector while its running, and if the tapping stops, it will be the injector.

Hoolio

When it was ticking, it showed a slight miss...Like something might have gone thru a valve.
I drove it home and it ran beautifully.. I'll try it in the morning to see how it starts..It never ticked
at anytime before..This was something not normal.. I've been around Deere and Ford Diesels for over 35 years
and never saw such a misengineered engine as this..My patience has worn thin dealing with this
engine..The truck deserves better....Roy

67_C-30

When it was ticking, it showed a slight miss...Like something might have gone thru a valve.
I drove it home and it ran beautifully.. I'll try it in the morning to see how it starts..It never ticked
at anytime before..This was something not normal.. I've been around Deere and Ford Diesels for over 35 years
and never saw such a misengineered engine as this..My patience has worn thin dealing with this
engine..The truck deserves better....Roy
Maybe, but the missing also sounds like an sticky injector. They can and do act up intermittently at times. I had one that would do that on an '84 K10 I had years ago. It would come and go until I finally replaced the injectors. I sold that truck still running great with 339K on the clock.

mf5129

the modern low sulpher diesel fuel is a source of trouble it is too light and not enough oil to lubrcate parts.you need to add oil occasionally.i use some outboard oil.it helps with solving intermittent problems.

Hoolio

I add 2 to 3 oz. of 2 cycle oil every fill-up and upon occasion use Stanadyne additive too.. Last filter change, the fuel had a nice blue cast to it..I know it's in there...

Scarecrow1

I have had a car or two in my time that no matter what you fix the list just keep getting longer . The chevy I have now is a 97 and I tell people its brand new because Everything on it has been replaced are repaired every fricken year :deadhorse: Really theres a term for these cars ...LEMONS....I seem to attract them

Hoolio

OH, One other thing..Usually after start-up, the voltmeter goes up into the green ,,Yesterday it was between the yellow and green with no red "Gen" light on..I kind of suspect maybe the glowplugs night have stayed on..I'll look at it this morning and check continuity , maybe pull some plugs to look for missing ends..

MSgt USMC (Ret)

I bought a Silverado C1500 brand new in 1993. Since then, I've replaced the tires, changed the oil, brakes, batteries and a starter that's it. That truck is incredible, I'll keep it till I take a dirt bath.

My 86 M1009 develops and issue every other day. If not for the fact that I'm so upside down in it I'd take it to the hood and leave the keys in it.

Hoolio

One other thing...The charging system showed between the green and yellow on the voltmeter..It usually runs midway in the green..I wonder if the glows were on when this happened..I got the truck home and raised the hood and felt the glow relay..It wasn't hot or even warm to the touch..Any ideas would be appreciated..I still don't think it was an injector sticking.. It sounded a little heavier than that..It cleared up in about 8-10 seconds and ran beautifully the rest of the way home..Now , I'm off to the barn to check it out..

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have M1009 No problems up dated all the drive line power train to it will run with not 1 problem.
I bought M1008 last month and the owner befor me shure did not know any thing about CUCV and ran her to death he turned up IP pump and over Rev it took out rod.
He installed newer 6.2 and not much better.
It would not run he played with IP pump and for got to retighten the nut's.
I re time it and done away with manual glow plugs switch and have it runing like suppose to.
T level 30 TI this M1008 back to start at 20F at no problem It still need new IP and Injectors
trans ok shift good after filter and fluid change.
Over all the daily PMCS has made & Maint improved it to from parts doner to restoreable M1008 to make her run very reable truck.[thumbzup]
Sorry for my rant of the day just most peple buy one of these old CUCV just dont relize it is over 24 years old or older and been sitting around rotting away.

sarge1

Well you could have gotten a dud I guess but I say give it a few months and a little more work and see what happens. I bought mine from a place that could have passed for a junkyard after it sat for 9 months there. After new batteries, changing fluids out, a new balancer and a few other smaller things, it has been very reliable for me. I'm putting a block heater in on Monday to help with cold starting but other than that, it's awesome. Give it a little more time I say.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you could have gotten a dud I guess but I say give it a few months and a little more work and see what happens. I bought mine from a place that could have passed for a junkyard after it sat for 9 months there. After new batteries, changing fluids out, a new balancer and a few other smaller things, it has been very reliable for me. I'm putting a block heater in on Monday to help with cold starting but other than that, it's awesome. Give it a little more time I say.
I do all my own work and Maint is a must I taken a Poop Poop truck and turned it around to have a MC ready to work at any time when needed.
:jumpin:

dragonwagon

the modern low sulpher diesel fuel is a source of trouble it is too light and not enough oil to lubrcate parts.you need to add oil occasionally.i use some outboard oil.it helps with solving intermittent problems.
I dont quite get this , I have read this all over the board . I dont recall it mixing so i put a bit of diesel in a jar , some 2 stroke oil and , well it didnt mix at all .

2 stroke was the cheap gallons you buy at a walmart , injection oil for snowmachines . The two stroke wanted to float on top .

hole

I dont quite get this , I have read this all over the board . I dont recall it mixing so i put a bit of diesel in a jar , some 2 stroke oil and , well it didnt mix at all .

2 stroke was the cheap gallons you buy at a walmart , injection oil for snowmachines . The two stroke wanted to float on top .

Was it synthetic? I dumped a few quarts of new synthetic oil I had laying around in the fuel tank of my Deuce and had that happen.