• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Never Ending Problems

I would stick with it and iron out the kinks. Once you fix these annoying issues you will love the truck. Most old trucks you find have there problems. I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota ive sunk almost 4 grand into in less then 12 months fixing various problems and it still has a check engine light on! On the list to still fix on it is new upper and lower balls joints, tie rods, and new O2 sensors. I keep putting money into the truck because has been reliable and at least I know what is wrong with it. I dont want to sell it and buy something even worse.

rnd-motorsports

I strain my oil change oil and use that in mine about 5 to 1 and have had great results. My truck I would get into today and drive anyplace and not think twice! The wife drives it everywhere also her car sits in the garage sorry for your problems but like said is a 20+ old truck that sat a lot but on the upside is a real truck. good luck!:driver: [thumbzup]

xenocath

searching.............
i had a tap i started adding 1qt of 2stroke per tank and poof tap stopped dunno maybe try and see if it helps cheaper than new truck

Milbikes

Chasing problems

I once bought a Russian (Ukraine actually) sidecar rig from a guy who had nothing but problems with it. I got it to run...not great, but running. EVERY ride I took was under a half hour, and after EVERY ride, it required work, fixing what I call minor issues. Some times it required towing home. This went on for most of the summer. At times I wanted to drive it out into the field, set up the 1919A4 and end the problems. But, when it ran, I really liked it. I just chalked it up to poor assembly of reject parts from the Ukraine factory. It was a 'kit bike'. Nothing ever actually blew up on the bike. By the fall, I had the bugs all worked out, and was able to take 100 mile rides with no problems. For those of you who know Russian motorcycles, a 100 mile ride with no problems is something to be happy about.

USA made stuff is usually made right. Sounds like your truck had a history of poor maintenance and storage. Once you take care of all the problems, it will 'probably' be a good truck. As long as the thing isn't loaded with rust, it is probably worth fixing.

Well Hoolio i know how u feel my friend.I 2 have had a time with my 1008 However with that being said i love my truck the poor thing has seen a hard life but Slowly im getting it back to presentable means Time man time Semper gumby be flexible im sure your 1028 is one heck of ride these trucks are awesome i wish u luck REAL TRUCKS RATTLE :beer:

Hoolio

Yeah...It's worth keeping as it only has 9200 miles on it..I swear that next time it'll get a small block Chevy to put in it...The truck gets a lot of looks and comments..All that mill stuff on the bumpers gets their attention..Not many around here in NE Ohio..

yeah i live out here close to camplejeune so i see a few who knows how many are hiding here though lol i got lucky my truck runs like a charm the body aint great but its fixable anyhow i wish ya luck [thumbzup]God bless our MVs and thier owners we got it made What a great hobby

ralbelt

My 1008 keeps getting better and better. It needed work when I got it from GL and with all the info on here I 've done a lot Of Preventive maintenance. When I read a problem some one has had and how they fixed it I will try to get one step ahead of murphy and do some PM.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hoolio,

Come on H, if you weren't spending time and money on this vehicle, it would just be another one.

I'm 57 and have two M1009's and an M1028A3. The best part about these trucks is I CAN work on them.

You can't say that about a lot of trucks these days without investing lots of $$$ in TOOLS to fix them.

So, take a break. Take a deep breath. Pop open a cold one of your choice and put your feet up. Reading the repair manuals is boring but can give you the insight you need. Plus, I feel that if you got a bad truck, your KARMA is only going up. You are putting things right with your truck so that makes for positive karma. The sad part is that you might have gotten one that was mistreated. But you can fix it.

It just needs a gentle caring hand willing to put things right. H, YOU DAT GUY.

Don't give up.

I've got an 1986 M1009 that I can't tell you how many small things I've replaced and a few large expensive ones as well - the GM dashboard was $600 and then another $100 for the correct factory color vinyl paint. But in the end, the results have been every effort I've put in it.

I know you're just venting and this is the place for it. But don't give up yet. You've got a lot of folks who are in the same boat and we will ALL get there together.

Hang tuff Hoolio. We're here. And we do get it.

Dodgeman1941

Hoolio,

One thing to remember, diesels do not like sitting. If it's 20 some years over with only 9200 miles, it sat for a while. I have also found that the ultra low sulpher diesel sucks, I run a gallon or so, of filtered WMO per tank and the clatter noise level has dropped alot.

bigflew

reading this thread has been depressing. I have 2 1009s that I have spent countless hours and cash to get to look and preform as good as possible. in the last two weeks they have both had some problems that I figured were going to be rare. now I see maybe not so much.
after seeing what these sell for on the bay fresh off the base I am seriously considering selling. but maybe its just the liqurer liqur liquere BOOZE talking.

67_C-30

One other thing...The charging system showed between the green and yellow on the voltmeter..It usually runs midway in the green..I wonder if the glows were on when this happened..I got the truck home and raised the hood and felt the glow relay..It wasn't hot or even warm to the touch..Any ideas would be appreciated..I still don't think it was an injector sticking.. It sounded a little heavier than that..It cleared up in about 8-10 seconds and ran beautifully the rest of the way home..Now , I'm off to the barn to check it out..

FWIW, an injector knock is very loud on these engines. It can sound a lot like a rod knock. The injectors have a very high psi "pop" pressure. When mine did it years ago, I thought my engine was gone.