• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV New Paint, what do ya think??

gocmndo

Well I won the truck in December of last year. Waited 60 some odd days for the privilege to give my money over and gain possession. Now another almost 70 days and still no title, but I am able to work on the trunk and Utah DMV is understanding with their 30 day temporary tags.
Well this is the result of my time with the truck. I am very happy with the truck and have really enjoyed getting the truck to what I want.
This forum has been a great resource and I could not have come this far without Steel Soldiers.
Thanks to all and the addiction goes on, should have my EUC back on the M105A2 next week.....

Attachments

1stgear

Great looking truck. I like the color and the topper a lot. Looks ready for action. What kind of tires are those? Is the truck lifted?

gocmndo

Re: RE: CUCV New Paint, what do ya think??

1stgear said:
What kind of tires are those? Is the truck lifted?
The tires are 37X12.5X16.5 Goodyear MT's I bought them from a guy in Surprise AZ. I paid $500 for five tires shipped to my door. Could not say enough good things about these tires. They are used HMVEE tires but have a lot of life left in them.
I worked with Stephen at Off Road Design for the lift. I went with Tuff Country 4" springs all the way around. ORD has a shackle flip kit but I needed the flex in the rear and would never tow what the rear springs were capable of towing. Stephen also sells a cross over steering kit that really helps out with the steering. ORD also supplied greasable shackles, front shock relocation brackets and extended steel brake lines.

The top I found locally for sale and it solved the problem of a wasted tailgate and where to locate some extra seats. Now I am going to have some roll bars fabbed for the back.

gocmndo

Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV New Paint, what do ya think??

steelandcanvas said:
Very nice lookin' rig! Is that your Hi-Lift up on top? Thought about shootin' that green also?
I found an Hi-Lift mount for a Conn Ferr rack on ebay and the jack is up out of the way now.

I used Sherwin Williams CARC paint. I don't want to say the paint is really flat, but I caught my wife working the rough skin off her elbows on the side of my truck!
Now we both have a great use for the truck!

gocmndo

Green_gator said:
That is a great looking truck!! What did you use to shoot the S/W CARC ? I am getting ready to do an M109 with the same paint.
Believe it or not I shot the truck in my driveway with a Harbor Freight HVLP $20 gun. Reduced the paint 3:1 and it went on fantastic.

gocmndo

CCATLETT1984 said:
also, regarding the top, do you have any reinforcement on the underside for the weight of the cap.
The shell is an aluminum Tradesman shell that can support up to 300 lbs. I scuffed up the original paint and then painted it.

gocmndo

Streetgliderx said:
who makes that rack???
This rack was made by Conn Ferr, who have since been sold to Off Road Unlimited. The new racks are 4" tall where mine is 6".
I found mine on an old Suburban in a local pick-n-pull and got it for $30. Sand blasted it and found some suitable wood at a reasonable price (read cheap) and painted it up and bolted it on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks