• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV - No start with smoke from the wiring

84cucv1ton

About to go pick up my girlfriend.. turned the key no click and dime light. before i know it smoke coming from under the hood. was dark. couldn't really see. smoke seemed to be by the steering column. i'm thinking the realy got stuck and burnt a link. any ideas what to look for? getting a new relay first thing in the morning. Work at 6am sunday. hope i can make this happen.. thanks a lot guys

cucvrus

I believe it. It is the same basic solenoid set up that Ford trucks/cars have/had. And I have seen plenty of them burnt fast and melt down the same way. Forklifts and many other pieces of equipment have the same set up. It is not infallible and like anything else it can fail. But smoke from the steering column that sounds bad. Sorry for your troubles. Good Luck getting back on the road. I will say I keep my batteries fresh and load tested. I have less trouble with any vehicle that has a good battery in it.

reaper556

So was this related to the doghead relay or the glow plug relay under the hood? I'm not seeing how the DH mod could of had anything to do with the other

84cucv1ton

yes i think it was the dog head relay. to think of it the truck didn't even crank over. I didn't hear the relay click so I thought it was just stuck. The smoke was down by the steering column. I don't think it was the steering column itself. I think it was the wiring down by the steering column. Going to start pulling apart see what I find. Hope I can figure this out

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes i think it was the dog head relay. to think of it the truck didn't even crank over. I didn't hear the relay click so I thought it was just stuck. The smoke was down by the steering column. I don't think it was the steering column itself. I think it was the wiring down by the steering column. Going to start pulling apart see what I find. Hope I can figure this out
You probably have problems other than the doghead relay , when they stick the starter keeps cranking , since it didn't crank that doesn't sound like the problem.

MarcusOReallyus

Any relay can fail in only two ways: Closed (on) or open (off).

If it's stuck open, nothing happens. If the starter relay (the doghead) is stuck closed, the starter runs away. Since yours didn't even crank, it didn't stick closed. It's possible it stuck open, but you did get smoke from the steering column, so some current did flow somewhere.

I think the most likely problem is something other than the doghead relay. Sounds like it never got energized, really. I suspect you'll find a problem in the circuit BEFORE the doghead.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why is it when a cucv won't start and something smokes it is automatically the fault of the doghead relay? There are always several other options?

Rvitko

Nothing related to the starter relay is near the steering column, the fuse box, glow plug relay and 12v wiring hub are the only components in that area, my guess is the 12v side fusible link or glow plug relay. Everything starter related is under the dash above the diagnostic port or on the passenger side.

84cucv1ton

yes it could be something else. On my blazer it was to relay. From my experience so far on my trucks and others. Those relays are not that good. Had a bunch fail. Anyway, finishing breakfast and go look at the truck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes it could be something else. On my blazer it was to relay. From my experience so far on my trucks and others. Those relays are not that good. Had a bunch fail. Anyway, finishing breakfast and go look at the truck.
It depends on the quality of the part you buy .

cucvrus

Nothing but the best. A C Delco/Motorcraft/Mopar/NAPA/Federated. High quality made in China. For real. I seen Cole Hersee parts from China. Who makes the best. The world may never know. All parts fail no matter the cost. Other issues contribute to the failure. In this case low voltage. Extensive cranking on weak batteries and improper glow plug system. The best parts will fail because of issues that cause failure and find weak links to ruin. The relay/starter are the only moving parts. They get the abuse. If it works i use it. I am forced to use import parts on a daily basis. Some work some not so well. It is the way of the world. 20 years ago I bought NSN NOS new brake drums for my m1009. They were in the mil spec boxes with the special paper and all. Made in China. The truck still stopped. I still have 2 of the new NOS brake drums in the boxes. never used.

84cucv1ton

i did look at it the best I could for 10 o'clock at night. Those relays to fail. They fail a lot or not that good. Now that I have some light going to take a better look. rob, so that's not helpful at all. So don't bother posting up

cucvrus

84CUCV1ton. Just report back on your findings. There is no infallible system no matter how much you spend. I still have the old stock relays and never/seldom have a problem. I must have a halo or something on each and every CUCV I own and drive. I still think it is the batteries that keep my issues to minimum. I am hard on the PM's and have a Midtronics MDX -600 series battery conductance and electrical system analyzer and i use it at each service. Good PM is just that. Good Luck. I would rather help you then poke at you. Makes the hobby more enjoyable for most.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
good thought. both batteries have a good volts. cleaned up the post since i was there anyway
Without a load test on the batteries you still do not know if your batteries are good. Just like cucvrus said even new parts fail. I have seen brand new batteries off the shelf fail because of a bad cell.

And to clarify for everyone, he said the smoke was under the hood near the steering column. That sounds like the main 12v feed at the diamond shaped 12v terminal.

It was not inside the cab near the column or the Starter relay.

Im changing the title of this thread because you have no proof that it was the relay. If you do indeed find that was the reason then I will gladly change it back.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks