• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Odometer

jcbrooks75

All,

I was told today that when the odometer flips on a M1008 a spring breaks causing the digits to come out of alignment. Is this correct?

Thanks
Jon

richingalveston

they normally only come out of line if you jack with them trying to turn them back. it is actually best to try and roll them forward back to zero and not backwards I was successful in doing this with one of mine and nothing broke when it flipped over. i have taken a two apart and managed to get one of them back to zero. i destroyed one also.

jcbrooks75

Long story short, I was in an auto accident caused by another driver. The insurance company claims the odometer flipped because a couple digits are out of alignment. They make this claim despite a carfax report that shows the mileage for the last two decades. They want to send an "expert" to inspect the odometer. I feel like this is crazy given the carfax and the fact that the accident totaled the vehicle. Any ideas on how I can give them further proof? My insurance company apparently has little experience with military vehicles.

cucvrus

No experience with military vehicles. That may be a good thing. Many CUCV's I have seen do NOT even have the original speedometers in them anymore. The gyro's in the speedometers would get wet , sand and dusty and then they would not work. So then a 40K CUCV vehicle was taken to the motor pool and a new 1 million mile speedometer head was installed and it showed 0000000.0 and that is how it was done. I know men on this site that bought vehicles that were rough and they showed very low mileage and they knew it was not correct. So maybe the adjuster was an ex military mechanic and he knows the procedure. But I have been in this position several times when I was not at fault and I just worked it out with the insurance company. 20 years ago I did believe the ultra low mileage and it was easy to look at the vehicle and match the mileage to the condition of the rest of the vehicle. Now not so easy as many have been altered and changed so much you can not put the proper equation together. So I always figure on a side of caution. A CUCV is not much more then a standard Chevrolet truck and if you can come to a compromise. Ask them to fix it with LKQ parts. (Like , Kind, Quality) That would seem fair. Unless that is out of the question. I don't have a clue of the extent of the damage. Good Luck. Some pictures would be helpful to sway my decision. What are you expecting to get for it?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
they normally only come out of line if you jack with them trying to turn them back. it is actually best to try and roll them forward back to zero and not backwards I was successful in doing this with one of mine and nothing broke when it flipped over. i have taken a two apart and managed to get one of them back to zero. i destroyed one also.
Careful what you post.

It is a Federal Felony to tamper with a vehicles odometer.

Yes I know some complete speedos were swapped in these trucks.

Different story admitting you ran mileage back or forward (to zero).

I don't care what was done. I just wouldn't have posted about it.

Last edited:

jcbrooks75

@cucvrus

Sure, that makes sense. The military needed to keep vehicles running and used parts they had at hand. The carfax on my truck has the first listing at around 11k miles in 1997 (truck is a 86). There are an additional 21 listings through the next 2 decades. If the insurance company did not agree with the mileage they could have said something when I registered the vehicle. I registered it with 30k miles and have been paying premiums based upon that number.

Anyway thanks for the help. The best I can hope for is enough money to buy a lesser truck and use the totaled truck for parts. Prices for these trucks are pretty crazy in the northeast. You have to be patient to find one

Cheers

cucvrus

Come south to Pennsylvania and I will sell you one that needs some minor or major work. your choice.
Is it an M1009 or an M1008 or M1028? Just asking. PM me with your needs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks