• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Poll

Armada

Over the years I have noticed something about the different CUCV's I've come across. Undercoating. Some have it, some don't. I don't know if there is any ryme or reason as to why this is, but I'm guessing it was done at the unit level and probably moreso on northern region vehicles for rust prevention and/or insulation. The observation I've made is that it didn't really help with preventing rust. Undercoated and nonundercoated vehicles seem to rust to the same degree and in the same places. Actually, I would even say the undercoated vehicles seem to have more extensive rot than the non.
Did your cucv come from the military with undercoating?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Only thing mine were undercoated with was rust. The non-rusty parts were coated with a thin layer of GM chassis black, OD, or desert tan.

kingsley

Mine came with a thick, black under coating. It was manufacture in late 1983 per the placard. I have a little rust in the door frame and foot well. Most of the rust appears to be a fucntion of holes in the roof. It might have had lights on top at sometime. When they removed them they left he holes open. Made a great channel for rain water over the years.

Jetnoise400

My M1009 came from Alaska, and it did have undercoating.... that was then covered with the most incredible dirt I've ever encountered. I hit it with my pressure washer, and the dirt just laughed at me.

But the only rust on the whole truck is a small circle about the size of a quarter on the passenger door, at the lower rear corner.. doesn't go all the way through... oh and a little surface stuff inside where the floormats weren't removed quickly enough.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm, doesn't seem to be any real pattern as my '84 model was made in late '83 and was not coated. The '85 I had was a WV ARNG truck and really could have used the protection, but it wasn't either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks