• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv purchase sight unseen, payment recommendations?

iacucv

Hey fellas, think I might have found my next cucv project, good price but it is a couple states away. I feel comfortable buying it sight unseen for the asking price where it is, and I have figured shipping costs into that as well. Here's my dilemma, I need to find a way to pay the seller that somewhat protects us both. Obviously a money order or box of cash delivered to the title holder leaves me at great risk, and him sending the title to a guy that is " going to send payment " is a risk on his part. Is there some kind of intermediary service or another payment method we could use? I initially was thinking PayPal, he is not a user and doesn't seem that interested in technology. Is this something an auto shipping company may deal in? Thanks guys!

infidel got me

Maybe you could set something up with your bank. Title mailed by out of state bank and money wired by your bank to his upon receiving title. I think it could be worked out like that somehow. You could cut the money in half, then when you get the title, mail the other half of the money(CUT MONEY IN HALF- LIKE WITH SCISSORS) easy peazy

drewzee87t

Escrow.com does this. You pay them, they hold the money until you get your (whatever) and once you get yours, they release the funds. Not too expensive. I have used them in the past for transactions up to about 10k US and never a problem. Best would be go in person as you would need to instruct your shipper to get the title, check the title, etc. and let you know to release the money

NovacaineFix

PayPal works for me, nice and easy and free if you send it as a gift, no fees!

BUT...that is if the other party has a PayPal as well. It's good but may be too many hoops for the other person to do if they don't already have a PP account.

Then there is Square, but again, pretty much the same setup as PP

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PayPal works for me, nice and easy and free if you send it as a gift, no fees!

BUT...that is if the other party has a PayPal as well. It's good but may be too many hoops for the other person to do if they don't already have a PP account.

Then there is Square, but again, pretty much the same setup as PP
The problem with sending it as a gift is if the deal goes south you have no recourse to get your money back as it was a "Gift". After getting burned by a SS member sending as a "Gift" I'll we pay the fees for the refund protection.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so what state are you buying from? try a local used car dealership. i have done it for one of my customers before. i was the middle man and it worked out since the other party had a local business to go to. but the escrow site seems legit

NovacaineFix

The problem with sending it as a gift is if the deal goes south you have no recourse to get your money back as it was a "Gift". After getting burned by a SS member sending as a "Gift" I'll we pay the fees for the refund protection.

That's a good point. I have never had anyone back out on a deal so I haven't had to go through that, luckily. But it can happen.

Plane Fast

Yikes!
I guess there is always one bad apple.

Last edited:

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why make it complicated, just take a day trip with a wad of cash. You shouldn't buy "sight unseen" anyway.

JUNKYARDJOHN

It must be one heck of a nice truck for a whole bunch of money, to put this much thought into the transaction. Either that or it must sound too good to be true. (and you know what they say about those things) If you're the least bit leary, ... forget this one... another one will come along.....probably.:-? If you go get it...just remember.. hand over the cash at the exzact same time as he hands over the title & keys. (being just a little sarcastic here) I've got a picture in my mind of two nontrusting individuals having a shootout with 25 acp's at 6 paces.:burn: Seriosly.. go get it or don't.. you can or you can't. lifes way to short to put this much worry into what should be a relatively simple transaction.

Skinny

I bought my M1031 sight unseen over 1200 miles away. Looking back it was probably a pretty hairy deal that I shouldn't have done but the seller gave me a ton of photos and video so I knew what I was getting into, I was willing to accept that something major like an engine or trans could be DOA, and I was willing to take a chance as I sent him a deposit in exchange for a title.

I don't know if he was an SS member but it went perfect, everyone was honest and walked away happy. I will say that sending $6k to someone you have never met hoping that the truck actually exists and gets picked up by the hauler is downright scary.

If I did it again, I probably would have had someone broker the deal.

JUNKYARDJOHN

I have bought three mil. cucv's sight unseen. Two from G.L & one from a guy on ebay. I also bought two civi. trucks on ebay , a 69 tow truck & a 1972 gmc suburban. I flew into California & drove the tow truck home. The suburban... well I backed out of the deal because it was not exactly as described over the phone. It had some bondo around the wheel well on one side & the interior trim had been redyed. DEALBREAKER... The seller seamed honest, & when he turned down my offer of $3200 less than our agreed upon price he even bought me dinner & paid for my flight home. You can usually tell quite a bit about a person by talking to them over the phone, & I made sure he understood that I'm the kind of person who would fly across this little country, to be sitting on the foot of his bed when he woke up, to retrieve my hard earned $10,000 . I've been lucky & haven't been screwed on a vehical purchase yet. (knock on wood, but theres always a first time.) If you're not willing to go thru this much trouble or take this kind of risk, just buy local. John

Skinny

A large quantity of well lit photos doesn't lie. Nor does a nice cold start video. Always be wary of the trucks listed that have 3 well placed images...they usually are hiding a lot of ugly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks