• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV questions.

skateabrock

it depends what type of offroading your planning. I love my 6.2 and it probably runs poorer than most. I mostly crawl up ravines, hills, dry creek beds, etc. (no rocks here) It's great for this low speed, low rpm stuff I just put it in 4LO & go & it runs the same at any angle no matter how extreme. I've had it on it's nose so bad I had to push hard against the wheel to stay off it.
I would say the biggest drawback as far as off roading is the steering these rigs need the crossover set up as they have no steering when the drivers side front gets drooped out.
When I set my M1028 up I was concerned about fuel capicity with the stock 20 gal tank but have had it out 2 solid days and it burned less than a half tank your not going to do that with a gasser.
I would shy away from the M1009s unless you have to have the cab room the pickups already have the HD axles and low gears.
For trail runnung & crawling the diesel will work great but its not for a high HP or high RPM application.
Mine is 4" ranchos in the front with a shackle flip in the rear running only the top 5 leaves. 37" tires, hyd winch (never used yet), shortened bed 14" between the wheels & taillights. Very capable rig that's hard to stop!
good lookin cucv! glad to hear that you did a shackle flip, it rides vary nice!
here is mine, i go through thick woods, deep mud and rivers in the alaskan wilderness, and the 6.2 does just fine! i suppose when the 6.2 does die ill put a sbc in it, but if it still runs and does the job why pull it out?

Attachments

dmc-4359

The H1:

1)I backed into a parking space between two cars, behing my house. I'm talking to a friend and pull out...taking the car on the rights bumper and taillight out. My H1? the side rail had a smudge on the paint!

2) dropped off the kids at the ex's...back out, didnt see the Lexus that just parked across the street. I put the driver rear fender of the Lexus into the trunk before I felt the H1 squish it. the H1? No damage!

3) Dropping off a video at Blockbuster. A new Volvo pulls in right on my bumper, parks in a red zone and driver gets out to drop off video. I can't make the left turn into the space, so I back up...put the Volvo's grill into the radiator!. The H1? A little bit of paint transfer to my hitch!

The M1009: I'm at a stoplight. A guy on a cell phone rearends me. His bumper is destroyed, along with his grill. The M1009 got no damage. The two cargo loops and pintle hook left nice holes in his bumper.

I think both these vehicles are rugged. I wish someone made a roll cage for the M1009. That will be the last project for her.

H1 wagon got a rear view video system, but is still too high to see the low cars that come up next to you.

Have you considered using the mirrors?