• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV quick lift question

glaser06

Please explain this statement.
Can you post pics of your crossover pipe ?
This is a picture from Chris at ORD. The banks turbo manifold uses an exhaust crossover pipe that runs below the motor. The high style crossover steering will make contact with this pipe during deflection of the suspension, something I'd like to avoid.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

richingalveston

That pic, the truck must have a manual trans. looks like clutch rod going in the hole between the motor mount and cross over. That pic also has stock motor mounts and frame cross over.
If you have the ord motor mounts and high clearance cross over, you can fit the pipe in the hole. A 3 inch pipe will fit but it touches on all sides. The cross over is 2 inch so that allows for pipe wrap and a shield under the motor mount.

Attachments

glaser06

I've still got stock motor (replaced about 15,000 miles ago) mounts. I'm not looking to relocate my turbo piping at the moment and the high steer kit is ~$400 more than the standard crossover.

glaser06

Had. It was broken on one side during a 1/4 mi race (hard 4x4 launch).

If the truck is unstable after the lift, I can always fab up a panhard or track bar to keep the axle in line. Not a big deal to thread/reverse thread a rod and slap a couple heim joints into. Still don't care for hydro on a daily driven truck, I only find that necessary for true trail rigs, esp those that see a lot of crawling (mud rigs generally don't benefit from it IMO).

Also, I'm working off memory right now, but doesn't the CUCV have a sway bar similar to the dodge I showed? I thought there was one under there but don't have the truck near me to check.

Last edited:

Obijuank5

I would love to see you give money to ORD but I think your'e complicating it. I also own an 06 dodge with 37s and no steering stabilizer. A well set up suspension doesn't need all these fancy things.
I think you will find that a lifted k30 with good condition bushings and steering joints will not require the use of crossover and if you choose crossover, it will not require the use of a trac bar or hydro assist.
The k30 has a swaybar that does not have end links and it bolts directly to the spring plates. The dodge has a swaybar that is parallel to the ground and uses links to shoot straight down to the axle.

Chaski

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think it is possible to run the stock swaybar with crossover. They kind of occupy the same space.

There are all sorts of things I like better about crossover, but one of the biggest things is that it steers straight under emergency braking (this gets even worse with a lift arm on your knuckle and conventional steering). With big tires and stock steering when you slam on the brakes your axle rolls the top forward, making you turn right. Not an issue with crossover. It is also nice to be able to turn it lock to lock at full compression and full droop. Plus if you ever decide to put longer travel front shocks and mounts on the front you won't run the risk of binding your drag link (ORD sells a long travel shock kit)

FWIW,
Your steering box has a swept volume of about 15 cubic inches. A lot of guys go nuts with hydraulic assist and put in huge cylinders that double or triple the volume (and force). If you keep the assist cylinder small (swept volume less than the steering box) it will be streetable... I promise. Everyone who drives my pickup is surprised at how normal it steers.

red

Hey guys, I'm down due to death wobble from worn leaf spring bushings. Figured I'd get my lift sorted out while I was underneath it. I want to run crossover steering to fix geometry issues that cause cracking. Summit has the skyjacker 4" lift and a superlift 3.5" lift. The superlift is obviously cheaper and comes with shocks so I'm tempted to go with it although I don't know anything about them nor do I see any reviews. With the extra weight of the diesel motor, the skyjacker you can get extra leafs that are fitted to the springs for $130 more. I've got a set of polyurethane bushings already and I'm planning on replacing as much of the hardware as I can. Truck is mostly an around town putter with limited offroad use (mostly unsticking my Jeep Comanche!).

Questions:
Would each one provide enough clearance for crossover steering?
Would 37" tires fit under either? Or would 35" be advisable?
Any ideas on the cheapest place to get brake lines (made/pre-fabbed/scrap yard)?

Thanks!

Superlift:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slf-k461/overview/

Skyjacker lift and helper springs:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-c140ck
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-flc140
Depending on how much you are willing to cut 37"s can be made to fit at stock height, even with full articulation offroad. On a 4" lift it won't take much trimming. My old 3/4 ton at stock height and 37"s with some trimming, needed more.

IMG_20160430_110112738.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took me long enough to find a photo, but here are some fairly wide tires (36-inchers as I recall) on stock suspension. Stock steering and a Banks cross-over pipe, too.
Not much visible fender trimming, is there?Stuff 643.jpg

Also ran 33s on 9.75-inch wide wheels on a 2WD Crew Cab with very minimal trimming, and that was with the fender opening trim.

glaser06

Took me long enough to find a photo, but here are some fairly wide tires (36-inchers as I recall) on stock suspension. Stock steering and a Banks cross-over pipe, too.
Not much visible fender trimming, is there?View attachment 680660

Also ran 33s on 9.75-inch wide wheels on a 2WD Crew Cab with very minimal trimming, and that was with the fender opening trim.
Did the tires scrub much when turning?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the tires scrub much when turning?
Sorry, but I can't remember if they did or not. Ridiculously wide for all practical purposes either way.
But 255/85R16s do rub at full lock on the M1008 - except that it's the tire chains that hit the steering.

Oops, just noticed that you wrote scrub, not rub. The scrub is a function of wheel offset, so those tires wouldn't scrub any more or less than skinny ones on the same wheel.

Last edited: