• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Radiator Replacement

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So we have been working on fixing all kinds of leaks in the M1028 and finally pulled the radiator as well. It appeared to have some small leaks near the hose attachment points. Took it to a local radiator shop and they said three days. Well, almost two weeks later they called and said that it was not repairable as it failed during the pressure tests and the inside of the cores was too far gone to repair. Now the big question..........what have you folks been using to replace a radiator in a CUCV. The guy at the shop said you probably won't be able to find a direct replacement since these are super heavy duty and built for the military. Any thoughts, suggestions (and part numbers from the ones you have used to replace if possible). Thanks CUCV experts!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So we have been working on fixing all kinds of leaks in the M1028 and finally pulled the radiator as well. It appeared to have some small leaks near the hose attachment points. Took it to a local radiator shop and they said three days. Well, almost two weeks later they called and said that it was not repairable as it failed during the pressure tests and the inside of the cores was too far gone to repair. Now the big question..........what have you folks been using to replace a radiator in a CUCV. The guy at the shop said you probably won't be able to find a direct replacement since these are super heavy duty and built for the military. Any thoughts, suggestions (and part numbers from the ones you have used to replace if possible). Thanks CUCV experts!
I seem to remember a recent conversation about an aluminum replacement radiator. Might have been @Skinny that mentioned it possibly?

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's just a radiator for an 84 K30. 4 core. I have an aluminum core with plastic tanks from Autozone and have no problems. Transmission and engine oil fittings right there where they need to be. Lifetime warranty... which I am sure I will use someday. Good luck.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in December the radiator in one of my 1009s was leaking (tank cracked). I put in an all aluminium radiator, it works like a champ. I had to make a couple of clamp adapters to hold it firmly in place because it is slightly smaller than the original, cools way better though.

I'll dig out the part number and post it.

Cheers

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in December the radiator in one of my 1009s was leaking (tank cracked). I put in an all aluminium radiator, it works like a champ. I had to make a couple of clamp adapters to hold it firmly in place because it is slightly smaller than the original, cools way better though.

I'll dig out the part number and post it.

Cheers

Did it have the trans and oil coolers built into it?

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's just a radiator for an 84 K30. 4 core. I have an aluminum core with plastic tanks from Autozone and have no problems. Transmission and engine oil fittings right there where they need to be. Lifetime warranty... which I am sure I will use someday. Good luck.

It looks like they are not carrying it anymore. Cant order for pick up at my local store. Hmmmm...the hunt continues

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yep, direct drop in replacement for the CUCV radiator. None of the auto parts stores around here had a replacement so I had to order one, I'll get the brand/part number today.

Cheers
When your new adiator arrives and works and you put it in then Please post all the order numbers and photos.
Your efforts coould alleviate all the question with answers and be a great help down the road.
A suggestion is to just post ithere under your title
that is a logical title as thos search in the years to come.
CUCV Radiator Replacement

It seems to me like this is something that one would want to buy and store for when needed.
Reminds me I should have bought every one of those Bradley in tank fuel pumps.
I bought and used two and sold 3, wish I had a hundred of them for that 60 bucks each but did not realize how many SS needed them. I did it so I would never have to change the other fuel filters again, just a 3 micron spin on.
ThankYou M813rc

Attachments

chevymike

A few years back I took my original radiator to a local shop and they were able to recore it for me. They said these are one of the largest radiators out there, even bigger than some motorhomes. Ran about $600 but it works great. I am surprised your shop could not get a core for it.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking for another shop that can do the re-core process....Not done trying anyway. In the meantime, I did find this one. It seems to be the right one other than 3 core instead of 4 and is a little narrower. I am just leery of the possible quality based on this huge price difference from everything else I am finding that will work ($750-1600....and believe it or not, Napa had the $1600 one which was not even brass/copper). I may pull the trigger for a temporary fix until I can get mine re-cored. If I go that route, photos and a write up will follow.

3 Row Aluminum Radiator For 82-91 CHEVY GMC TRUCK PICKUP BLAZER 6.2L V8 DIESEL (alloyworksplus.com)

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pro tip:

Order the insulators that go on the bottom now so you'll have them when you're installing the new rad.

You don't want to use the old ones, but if you're installing the rad and then suddenly discover you need them, you'll be faced with a choice; play fast & loose with the old ones, or wait a couple weeks for the new ones.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Pro tip:

Order the insulators that go on the bottom now so you'll have them when you're installing the new rad.

You don't want to use the old ones, but if you're installing the rad and then suddenly discover you need them, you'll be faced with a choice; play fast & loose with the old ones, or wait a couple weeks for the new ones.
Smart Plan @Mainsail !
There are 4 rubber insulator pieces (if memory serves me).
Two on the bottom and two on the top of the tanks of the radiator...

Valor

The new one I got for my civy 84 GMC Suburban with 6.5 diesel was a Spectra Premium from autozone. It fit perfecly. Had lube oil and trans oil ports for the lines. https://www.spectrapremium.com/en/aftermarket/north-america/heavy-duty-radiator
Scroll down to the bottom and you can do a year, make and model search. Hope this helps.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many core radiator was originally standard for these trucks? I’d have to crack open mine to double check (however it may not be original) but I don’t recall it being 4 core. And from what I’ve seen for sale on rock auto (granted probably also not exact reproductions) they’re not 4 core either.
D3D78E28-B83A-42BB-B88E-7D8B3A3AF6BF.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks