• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Radio

GroundedCLK

I am looking for a CUCV communication radio, I am looking to have it styled exactly like the original. Just on a lower power level I am not looking to get in to HAM radio operations. Just have something functional for when I am out tooling around in the woods with my friends.

I would like to find a original styled radio just powered down for my needs.

Westech

CPL
Not going to happen. You will need to find a working RT-524 and all the wiring, mounts, brush guards and antenna if you want a "real" CUCV radio.

if you want to chat with your buddies just get a CB or a handheld Family radio.

Attachments

Last edited:

Al Harvey

If you want to get creative you can try and find a RT-524 shell or non-working and mount a CB inside to try and keep the original look while having a radio you can use for comms.

MarcusOReallyus

I am looking for a CUCV communication radio, I am looking to have it styled exactly like the original. Just on a lower power level I am not looking to get in to HAM radio operations. Just have something functional for when I am out tooling around in the woods with my friends.

It doesn't work that way. You can't just grab any radio and start using it, "powered down" or not. In order to talk to someone, you have to be able to use the same modulation and be on the same frequency. So, your buddies would also have to have military radios. Ooops. Those radios are military radios, and they operate on channels reserved for the military. Try transmitting there and you may find yourself talking to feds.

Like the man said, get yourself a CB or Family Radio Service unit and call it good.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would most likely be an expensive route.
...they operate on channels reserved for the military. Try transmitting there and you may find yourself talking to feds.
Between the expense of the radio and the FCC's $10,000 fine for using it, I have to think it would be cheaper to call on a cell phone and pay the $100 fine for that.

I really don't have anything to say that's worth that much. ;)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a ham radio operator, and I like the idea of restoring a military vehicle with the proper radios in it, but trust me, when I build my CUCV it will have a non-functional RT-524 radio in it for display, and for comms I will install a mobile 2-meter transceiver from a commercial manufacturer. Just ease of operation, power requirements, ability to be heard without a sideband conversion, etc. Lots of reasons why commercial is better.

And if you don't have a ham radio license and try to broadcast on those freqs, FCC will gladly triangulate your position from your own transmissions, take your equipment, and fine you $10K. It happens sometimes, so don't think you're clever and try to get away with it. Plus, there are kids under 10 years old who have a technician class license. The test is easy to study for (at www.qrz.com) and the tests are given all across the country, so it's not like getting one is rocket science to get on the air. Why not just take the test, know where you're supposed to operate in the band plan, and be 100% legal?

AIRWARRIOR

Do any of you know of any Ham Radios that have a "military" look to them? May not be original but look the part and actually work?
Thanks!

mm58

Do any of you know of any Ham Radios that have a "military" look to them? May not be original but look the part and actually work?
Thanks!
My first thought was the Yaesu FT-897. It has a ruggedized look and feel. This pic shows one where the owner also added some custom rack handles.

Other than that, you might be able to get a surplus RT-524 to work on the ham 10meter and/or 6meter bands with some tweaking and the right antenna.

Attachments

Last edited:

RangerBob

You don't really have to 'get in to' ham radio to get a license. The technician-level license exam is intentionally very easy, and all of the questions and answers are made public. Just go to a site that has practice tests on line, such as http://qrz.com/hamtest/, and take the practice tests until you have most of the answers memorized. It might take you a weekend of repetition. Then take the exam, get a radio, and get on the air. You will have accidently learned what frequencies and power levels you can legally use from having gone through the practice tests a couple dozen times.

Plan B - Buy a CB radio, take off the knobs and panels, paint them olive drab, and reassemble.

MarcusOReallyus

Other than that, you might be able to get a surplus RT-524 to work on the ham 10meter and/or 6meter bands with some tweaking and the right antenna.

I'm thinking that such tweaking might be a wee bit beyond the OP's skill level..... Just a bit....

mm58

AIRWARRIOR is not the OP, and I have no idea what his skill or ambition level is. I'm only putting it out there for his consideration. For all I know, he may be an electronics whiz but just not familiar with ham.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks