• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Rat Rig

Solid Gold

My first steel soldier project has been an adventure so far to say the least, but that's what's making me love this old truck more and more.

Truck is in great shape and wanted to note a walk around for both posterity to review and plan for my next visit up on the mountain to work on.

Weak batteries - no start.

Checked out glow plugs - 3 out of 8 stuck from the seller desperately trying to start it prior to my arrival with ether.

This next visit up on the mountain, I bring two charged batteries and a glow plug removal tool made by a local Oregonian to replace the bulbed plugs.

Everything is going smooth with good winter sunlight to spare when Murphy's Law plays a hand on me with the discovery of a Rats Nest to further my work.

Everything for a reason, because this probably saved me from a big engine fire and total loss of my truck, essentially there must be a patron saint looking over this M1031.

Posting videos to share my project to learn and pass on any information to members, also gives an opportunity insight into this hobby.

Steel Soldier M1031 CUCV - Youtube videos posted on my project.

-not sure how to link yet- :-|

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So where can we get that glow plug removable tool?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nSo2mum2c[/media]

Last edited:

Solid Gold

Thanks...gold stars for everyone!!!

The glow plug removal tool is 100% MADE IN AMERICA by JJ and A Racing Products out of Boring, Oregon.

From my understanding of talking on the phone, Jeff himself oversees five CNC tooling machines in their shop.

Good and honest guy to work with and he makes really great soldier proof glow plug removal tools.

Paid full price and it is worth every penny!!!

ps. will post a more detailed video on how the tool works, but am heading up to Mt. Hood now to work on my truck and sunlight is precious this time of the year as your work light.

Last edited:

joeman_80128

Just thought I would ad a safety tip for anyone here in the four corner states about the mouse nests remember that hanta virus is airborne so wet them down or use a mask if you got to clean up after these nasty little guys! But great vids! Amazing where these little buggers will set up shop! I work for the phone company here in Denver and we find them all the time in our stuff, The worst part is they chew the insulation off the wires so thats where your trouble is most of the time so you have to dig thru them! I hate em!:evil:

ABN173

Is it a M1031 or a M1028 RAT rig?
I'm guessing it is a M1031. He probably named it "Rat Rig" due to the nest perhaps? Being a former 31C Single Channel Radio Operator (my 1st MOS) I opened this thread hoping to see a real RATT Rig setup.

-Dale

niferous

I'm guessing it is a M1031. He probably named it "Rat Rig" due to the nest perhaps? Being a former 31C Single Channel Radio Operator (my 1st MOS) I opened this thread hoping to see a real RATT Rig setup.

-Dale
I was a 31C as well. I trained in RATT rigs at Ft Gordon that they had put on the ground. When I got to my second unit we had them but they were on the backs of HMMWVs not CUCVs.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solid Gold,
Is JJ and A Performance shop the same shop in Boring that 'balances' the injectors on the 6.2L?

Lived in Portland for a while, my FIL had a place in Boring.

Loved living there for sure.

Solid Gold

It's late, but I wanted to keep my word and post a glow plug tool video and some others. Charging both batteries for another attempt this week. Almost forgot to mention that my "Rat Rig" had another surprise to offer up. My seat escaped any damages!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KzGizel8

My brain is tired. Will try to paste link again. Search out on youtube : Steel Soldier M1031 CUCV - Rats nest under seat

Goodnight.

Last edited: