• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV recovery kit - recommendations?

iacucv

Hey guys, going to try to go get a M1009 this weekend. It's about 7.5hrs away and I'm going to try to drive it home with a support vehicle following. Been a couple years since I sold my M1008 and I am trying to think of extra parts or supplies I may need to get her home. Right now, I'm thinking screwdrivers, cordless impact, pliers, vice grips, socket sets in 3/8 and 1/2", ratcheting end wrenches, several gallons of distilled water, some rtv, and a 12 volt radio lol. Anyone have suggestions on additional equipment that may save my butt? This cucv has made a couple cross state trips for the previous owner, but I may as well change my name to Murphy. Thanks guys!

Chaski

I like the multimeter and the tow bar suggestions.

Maybe grab a small assortment of hose to take with you, including some of that little stuff for the injector bleed lines.

Personally I take a pickup powered by a 5.9 Cummins, and a trailer with a winch, but that is cheating.

CUCVLOVER

A good battery impact, sockets, a few wrenches and a ratchet. Bottle jack and boards, fix-a-flat, jumper cables, screw drivers, a roll of electrical wire, duck tape, super glue, flares, fuel can, bailing wire, flash lights (not cheap junk ones), water, snacks, cash. If possible about 20 ft of fuel line and a electric fuel pump. If the stock pump dies or the tank messes up run the line back to said fuel can and use electric pump to get it home or something. Fuel can must have fuel for this to work!.
Engine oil, fuel filter, battery radio, ipod or Pandora and a smart phone. A LED light bar or pods, mount them on a couple vise clamps and wire to battery if needed for emergency headlights, regular and needle nose vise grips. Use vise grips for emergency battery clamp if you have to.

Now that is my mega prepare list, the short list is this: flash light, Jack and impact, spare tire, tape, oil, fuel can, jumper cables and radio or ipod, channel locks and rachet set. Tow straps.

You can mix and match to make your list or just ignore my post all together. I'm just telling you what I would bring, and me and my bunch spends a lot of time on the road most of time towing or hauling.

Good luck

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you rent or borrow a 2500 or 3500 series truck, and rent a small car hauler from UHAUL? That's the safest option in my opinion.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
7.5 is some serious windshield time. Yeah, truck and trailer would come under my recommendation too. CUCVLOVER had a good list, and Porkysplace's mention of a credit card is good too! (HIGH limit) Take your time, pay attention, stop often to check things over, feel hubs, Rain-X windshield stuff, ,,,,,,,,,Take too much, you'll never use it, take to little and need more,,,,,,,,or so I've heard. ENJOY the adventure................that's part of the fun, the "gamble".

iacucv

Thanks for the input guys. I've added several recommendations to my kit. We're going to give this a go tomorrow, I'll let you know how it all pans out. Towing back was an option, added cost. Even considered shipping back, if things go real sideways still an option. I will be splitting the trip 3.5hrs back, then 4hrs the next day with a support car. Worst case I tow it to the next town and ship it back... That's where that credit card comes in! Also lucky enough to have some contacts along the way... I will post results early next week. Wish me luck!

Gunner USN

Thanks for the input guys. I've added several recommendations to my kit. We're going to give this a go tomorrow, I'll let you know how it all pans out. Towing back was an option, added cost. Even considered shipping back, if things go real sideways still an option. I will be splitting the trip 3.5hrs back, then 4hrs the next day with a support car. Worst case I tow it to the next town and ship it back... That's where that credit card comes in! Also lucky enough to have some contacts along the way... I will post results early next week. Wish me luck!
I wish you the best of luck and a safe trip!

iacucv

Well the trip was a complete success. Truck is super clean, with the only rust being in the floor pan and didn't even make it into the rockers which I assumed would need replaced as well. Engine bay is dang near spotless and she cruised like a dream 70mph the 470 miles home. Not one tool was needed. She has several small issues that need addressed, cushion and seat cover replaced on drivers seat (my butt is sore), low coolant light stuck on, and needs glow plugs replaced, only issue was difficult to start on the cold next morning. She wanders a little but bearings seem good, will look into that but was also driving into a 30mph crosswind or headwind.

Plans for her are some new tires, a new coat of O.D. Epoxy, bed lining the interior and about 12" up the rockers, and a ton of undercoat underneath to keep the Iowa salted roads away. Eventually she will probably get turbo'd and receive a nv4500 transplant.

thanks for the advice guys! Sorry I'm not very technically advanced so I didn't take any pics to share.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The more you pack, the less you need. Congrats on a successful recovery. I bet you know a whole lot more about your new ride.

Assel

congrats on bringing her home safe :D

when I bought my CUCV it was a 4,5hrs drive...and I had nothing with me! Didn´t need anything aswell, Truck had freshly passed inspection and all fluid levels were ok before and after the 1 hour test drive (and it had brand new MT Tires on it) , did some stops to check for leaks & trans fluid and to grab some snacks & fuel up :p ..but nontheless I was happy when she was in our driveway!

the only thing I forgot to bring with me: earplugs :mrgreen: ...

iacucv

When I drove my last m1008 home 4 plus hours, the guy I bought it from was nice enough to give me earplugs. This time an iPod with earbuds made the long drive much more enjoyable, but I did find earplugs in the glove compartment lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks