• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Recovery Story

tklm539

Well, I thought someone might be interested so here it goes.

Just before Christmas I made the mistake of browsing through the SS classifides to find Armada's mint CUCV for sale. Well the addiction kicked in again. Yeah, some of you know just what I am talking about. I really want it, turned into I really need it and finally I must have it or I will no longer be able to function.

I started to contact Armada some time around the 20th of December by email. He was very helpful about providing pictures and information about every stage of the restoration he did. Around about the 23rd, I broke it to my wife that I was "thinking about" buying a new truck. I failed to mention the military part or the fact that it was 900 miles away. I figured I would save that as a surprise when I got home with it.

Over the next few days I spoke with Armada on the phone to deal with paperwork and payment details. Seemed like a nice guy but I figured I would reserve judgment until later.

I made plans to fly out to MI from NY on the 1/4. On the 24th I asked my Pops to drive me to the plane in Albany. He agreed on the catch that I tell the wife ALL the details. OUCH!!!

I finally worked up the nerve on Christmas day to divulge that it was a military truck in MI to she and her listening mother. All I got was a that figures. Ok, a little cold but it could have been a lot worse. As I figured the $$it was really going to hit the fan. Ahh, was waiting until her mother left. In fact the fireworks never came.

I flew out to MI on the 4th as planned that part was pretty uneventful. The only real highlight was hearing the pilot and stewardess announce 5 times (not exaggerating) to turn off all your electronic crap only to have the numb nuts in front of me have to wait for a personal invitation.

I met Armada at the gate as planned with little hitch. I must admit the idea of meeting someone I had never met and then traveling with him to a place I had never been caused me a little thought. I was pretty sure Jeffery Dalhmer came from this part of the country!! Wow I could not have been more wrong. Armada is one of the nicest guys I have met in a long time. I am not a very social person. We talked the entire ride back to his house (90min) about trucks, politics and life in general. Really a stand up guy, which is increasingly rare.

When we got to his house, I went through his deuce (Mr. Buyer in Washington State, you are getting one hell of a nice truck) and his new 818. Finally it was time to see the CUCV. It is rare that something is actually exactly the way it is described. Armada was right on the money. It needs nothing. He did a fantastic job with it. Looks like it just rolled out of the factory. For all you purists, I know you are going to say that that is not the real military look, but I like it.

Armada took the time to go over every inch of the truck and explain all that he did and how everything worked. It made me feel very comfortable with setting out on a 900 mile trip through the night. I finally got started around 5:30pm with Armada filming my departure while bemoaning the fact that I was going to drive it in the salt and snow.

The trip when without a hitch. I planned on driving through the night but found that I cannot do that any longer. I had to stop half way in Buffalo to sleep. The trip took me through Ontario. When I came back into the US, the border officer asked for my military ID. I actually had to get out to explain that it was no longer a military truck.

I finally got home around 10:00 on the 5th. To my shock, when my wife got home, the first thing she did was throw the kids in and ask for a ride. She even asked to take it to church the next day. As we were leaving church, my son leans into me and says " do not tell mom that I told you but she said that she really likes the truck a lot". Wow it does not get any better than that.

I really cannot say thanks enough to Armada. If anyone has the opportunity to deal with him, you will not regret it. As for the recovery itself, not a bad time for my first interstate experience. Now if anyone has a trailer that they want to unload for it, let me know!!

Tom

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I met Armada at Aberdeen and hope to see him again this year as well. That Blazer looked fantastic, he does great work. Very detail oriented.

Congratulations!

ida34

I have know Paul for a couple of years now. He does great work on all his vehicles. You really got a good truck. Award winning in fact. I think it was the Silver Lake show where the cucv took home a trophy. I can't remember the exact title but it was due to his attention to detail on the truck. Paul has helped me out a couple of times and I would help him out anytime he needed it. Truly a good guy. I heard from TegG that Paul had another truck. Funny no pics of the truck yet.

At any rate, Tom you got a good truck.

tklm539

Thanks for the comments. I saw Pauls other truck. It is an 818. It just came out of the depot rebuild. Its amazing it looks brand new. I cannot figure why they would do all the work only to sell it. But good for Paul anyway.

Tom

Pappa-G

You guys are getting me all misty. If I didn't know Armada so well I would say that you are all liars but you have barely scratched the surface.

Tom you got a GREAT truck! That Blazer is "pure sex". Could you PM me with a list of the meds your wife is on? My other half is gonna crap an eggroll when I bring my 5ton home. [thumbzup]

rizzo

Pappa-G said:
You guys are getting me all misty. If I didn't know Armada so well I would say that you are all liars but you have barely scratched the surface.

Tom you got a GREAT truck! That Blazer is "pure sex". Could you PM me with a list of the meds your wife is on? My other half is gonna crap an eggroll when I bring my 5ton home. [thumbzup]
I have know Paul for a few years also. Everything you said sounds par for the course. Great guy and great truck you got.

Armada

Wow, thanks for the great comments. Pappa-G, what do you know.... lol
It was a pleasure dealing with Tom. Great guy. I've never had 'Sellers Remorse' before, if there is such a thing, but I am. I'm glad it went to one of our SS members though. Great guys on this site. Tom said he plans on taking it to Aberdeen this year so you'll get a chance to meet him there. Yeah, it made me cringe when he said he'll be driving it this winter in the snow and salt, but promised to keep it washed... lol
Thanks again.
Paul

aboonski

I really enjoyed your story about retrieval of the CUCV! You really got a beautiful vehicle that should last a lifetime. The next MV that I want to acquire will be an M1009. I have five K5 Blazers in my back yard and most of the parts interchange with the CUCV so I am set for spare parts. I bought my M1008A1 from a police officer in Carmel New York but went through Ebay to get it. He was nice enough to have his wife meet me at Laguardia International and they fed me lunch while I was there preparing to drive the truck home to Florida. The only thing I don't enjoy about the truck is the fuel consumption and that's what makes the M1009 more desireable! What I should do is trade my 1968 M35A2C towards a nice M1009 like yours and I'll be set for life!