• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Registration Question

undysworld

To All,

Thanks to everybody who submitted information!!

We got info from 30 U.S. states! The evidence is due today, and was mailed yesterday. The appeal hearing is scheduled for next Friday, the 20th. It will likely be another month before the judge's proposed decision is handed down. I'll keep things updated.

Paul

HoJoPo

Here in California, the previous owner of my 1984 M1010 ambulance had problems with San Francisco bay area DMV (Livermore), and they would only license it as a 1 ton pickup, requiring a weight based registration ($280/year). He had to fight with them to get that, they didn't want to title it at all, due to it not having an emissions sticker.

I took it to Hanford DMV to do the title transfer, and they agreed in a body type change to Motorhome, since the rear compartment has passenger seating and windows (and a porta-potti, Engel fridge, and coleman stove will be in there too). Now, as long as I don't run into any issues with the state office (everything went into suspense due to my requesting my amateur radio personalized plate), I should have the registration reduced to less than half. Hanford DMV just checked the box on the form for "no emissions sticker", and noted that it was a diesel. The VIN sticker on the door was intact, and was used for VIN verification (I pointed out the data plate with the stamped VIN as well).

Not sure you need this any more, but I posted this for other's reference. In California, you can go to a DMV office elsewhere, and maybe going to a more rural office may help if you run into issues.

As for insurance, my agent at first thought Allied (Nationwide) would throw a fit, but I pointed out that I had my M715's insured with them no problem, and sure enough it's not an issue. It's listed on my insurance now as "1984 Chevy CUCV M1010", since that's what I told them (the Chevy came from the VIN).

br44

My name Is Thomas Edward Dennis. (8582317385) I live in california. When i registered my CUCV(1984 m1009) I had absolutely ZERO problems with registering it as a normal everyday car. I didn't even have to smog it because of its age and fuel type. At the time, i was living in San Diego County. I registered it at the Poway DMV at window 16. it was shortly after my 18th birthday (April). ****, i even leaked radiator fluid all over their parking lot and all they said was be sure to buy a gallon of water at the wal mart on the other side of the parking lot. the hardest part was figuring out where to put the license plate :D. good luck m8

*EDIT*

It is registered as a 1984 K5 Blazer

Last edited:

idM1028

Pretty much same thing here. My M1028 is registered in NC as a K30. Didn't even have to do the inspection stuff because of the age (and its diesel to boot) Insured as a K30 too. If the insurance company and the DMV were smart enough to decode the VIN (which isn't that hard to do) they would know it was a military vehicle. Need to get my registration switched over to NE. The NC registration is still good, but since the move it needs to get switched.

firefirefire90

My name Is Thomas Edward Dennis. (8582317385) I live in california. When i registered my CUCV(1984 m1009) I had absolutely ZERO problems with registering it as a normal everyday car. I didn't even have to smog it because of its age and fuel type. At the time, i was living in San Diego County. I registered it at the Poway DMV at window 16. it was shortly after my 18th birthday (April). ****, i even leaked radiator fluid all over their parking lot and all they said was be sure to buy a gallon of water at the wal mart on the other side of the parking lot. the hardest part was figuring out where to put the license plate :D. good luck m8

*EDIT*

It is registered as a 1984 K5 Blazer
Poway DMV is the best in San Diego. They've always given me the least problems.. just glad they moved from next to Petco!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with 319, I was just in Marinette WI, I had a Michigan plate on a M-1028 and I had no problems with the cops in town. I had a thumbs up at the Bank ATM last Sunday morning from the Sherriff...! If you need any help to fight the system let me know, I am all over it.

344lbsofgetdown

no problem here in ohio did insurance over the phone sent pictures of truck and vin for full coverage and mailed me my card has regular plates and tags on it drive it daily to work and hunting in the winter

my name is Scott R Earnshaw

jholler

No issues in Arkansas either, DMV didn't even ask about the J code, and my insurance agent just wanted to come outside and drool over the 1009. I re-stencilled my own Guard unit markings over the MO guard ones, (My CO said "I don't think you can do that" I said "show me a regulation...it's a civilian vehicle.") I carry the license plate in my document bag, and have yet to be pulled over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks