• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Roadtrip Today

JUNKYARDJOHN

Yep.. your no doubt right... I'd be the first one to admit that I don't understand em at all. Shoot half of the things on there.... I don't even know what it's called let alone does. Now I've been building hi-perf. small & big block chevy motors for an awful long time, understand them really well, & can wring the last few ponies out of them. My kids got a 93 ford 1 ton 4wd 7.3 that he bought new & has almost 800,000 miles on, doesn't leak or smoke & gets well over 23 miles to the gallon. I just need something that when & if it quits on me (and they do.... and have ) I don't feel like a sixteen year old girl that's looking under the hood for the first time in her life.;) I need a truck that I can pop the hood & know what everything is supposed to do, where it's at & what it's called & probably have one in my shop. & I'm in the process of doing just that. I love my chevy 4x4s.... been driving them since 1973. I've had 11 second trucks & mud trucks with 50" tires with REAL 700 h.p. I'm almost 60 & I guess I'll stick with what I know. one mans ingenius invention just looks like a jerry rigged mess that's been done by a drunk to others. ;) John

Last edited:

86m1028

To help everyone understand, John brought over some stuff from this thread. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...2-volt-amp-painless-wiring-harness&highlight=.

As far as dependability, I think it is unfair to categorize all stock CUCVs are being undependable. Luck has little to do with it as well. The truck I drove on this journey has 121,000 miles on it. They sure didn't get there on the back of a wrecker. If one can't get a CUCV to be dependable, they either need to reconfigure it to a platform they understand or consider another vehicle. There is nothing on these trucks that are rocket science. Many mock the electrical system but it's really quite ingenuous if you understand it. In my life I have blown up a ton more small blocks and big blocks than I have 6.2 diesels. I've also experienced many more dependability issues from carburetors than injection pumps. So in closing, I'm certainly not the most lucky person in the world and can document that the dependability of my trucks is not an incorrect statement. I just know how they work and maintain them in a state of readiness.

Recovery4x4

I think that was very well put.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Started my truck up today.
Drove it till I stopped.
Started it back up.
Drove it till I stopped.
AGAIN it started back up.
Drove it till I stopped.
One last time I started it.
Drove it till I parked.

(Maybe its time to try the lottery)

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love road trips in my CUCV's

My wife and I will head out with a full tank and just aim in a general direction. Amazing what you find when you do that.

I don't think twice about doing that.
I know that I use the best parts I can afford and have taken the time and effort to make sure, as much as possible without a frame off restoration, that it's mechanically the best it can be.

Can something break tomorrow? Of course it can and at some point it will.
ANYTHING mechanical will break down at some point. That's a fact of
life.

Road trip away and have fun.
These trucks are fun and unique.