• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 's bought at State auctions

Jeremiah_Johnson

Have any of you SS members had any luck at buying MV's from local state auctions. I was bidding on a 1985 M1009 the other day . long story short I lost it , sold for $665.00 I did preview it and was surprised to find it was all most rust free only it had a bad Transmission and rear seat was missing . It only had 61K miles with a very straight body and a White paint job , back glass would not roll up due to stripped gears . Kind of wished I had upped the bidd.!! Auction has ended...

Last edited by a moderator:

yamabro

I had recently picked up an M1009 from a State sale. The description was to the "T". I don't feel I did to bad considering I drove it over 300 miles back home (one way). But most are a Gamble they all seem to be, ...quote (wreckerman893)"rode hard and put up wet"

idM1028

I have looked at a lot of vehicles on GSA http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/

and most of them looked like they had been rode hard and put up wet.

GL is still my drug of choice but there prob are some good vehicles out there on other sites.

Your milage may vary.
:ditto:

About a two years or so ago, when the Army units here were auctioning off the rest of their CUCV's one individual I know who was a county EMS manager/head bought one for the department. Looked very nice and original (save for a 12V conversion that was done after it was bought and the obligatory EMS stickers, radios, siren, etc.) I even told him that if it needed a new home to let me know, only to find out he couldn't sell if for another 5 years. :( If mother nature and the road salt is good to it, it should be in good shape when it is sold since, from the sounds of it, it is hardly ever used. In fact, out of the 4 or 5 that I have seen from that batch, there was perhaps one that would give me second thoughts.

K9Vic

If you are meaning by local state auction as not GSA live, GSA online, GL, or any federal government auction, then yes. Some of the cheapest CUCV trucks I have bought are from local government auctions for local municipalities that got CUCV trucks trough the government. They used them for the allocated time and did not want them anymore and listed them for sale.

Bought
1986 M1009
1985 M1010
M416

Passed on
1984 M1009
3x misc year M1008/28

1StumpJumper

If GSA qualifies, then yes. I bought a pair of gen trailers about a year ago. When I picked them up they were ROUGH. My fault for not viewing first. One of them looked like it was towed behind a submarine. I literally had to wear goggles when I was chaining it to the trailer. I could not get SF97 for either of them because there was no data plate.

As with any auction especially sight unseen, buyer beware.

Is it just me, or does it seem all the pictures for GL & GSA taken through a jug of pond water?

MtnTamr

...are from local government auctions for local municipalities that got CUCV trucks trough the government. They used them for the allocated time and did not want them anymore and listed them for sale.

Last week I picked up my first MV :beer: from a small town Police Dept. It was open for bids for about a month. (mine was 1 of 5 bids) K9Vic & idM1028 are right. The Police Chief said he'd still be driving it but it needs both rocker panels and a couple floor panels patched/replaced to pass state inspection. Figured it wasn't worth the cost to fix an old MV since they can get newer ones REALLY cheap. They just can't resell them for ?? number of years.

ryan77

I just bought a m1009 from Chambers county texas off Gov Deals!! I got it picked up right after the auction. It took me 3 weeks, 5 emails, 5 phone calls to get the title! Finally after having the gov deals rep call them they sent it to me. They also cut both front brake lines and some of the wiring on the truck. Not a big deal i fixed all of it truck is 25 yrs old should have new brake lines anyways but ridiculous to have to deal with it. They also lost the ignition key which is not a standard cucv key so i had to change that!!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL auctions are straight from the federal government. Even though they may have been sitting for several years before being sold and maintenance may have been lacking toward the end, they have been kept in pretty good condition their whole life.

When state and local governments get MVs they usually give next to nothing for them. Having gotten them for basically free they tend not to care much for them. They also tend to try and civilize them ( usually by inexperienced people) and they cobble things such as the electrical. A lot of the times they will finally break down, sit in the back lot for several years, somebody will decide to clean up the back lot, and then they will sell it.

I'm not saying a good vehicle can't be had from state and local auctions. They do tend to be of lower quality as a whole than GL. They also seem to bring higher prices condition wise than their GL counterparts as far as GSA and Govdeals go.

salt6

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks