• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv shackles

Matt1031

Any style 6 1/2 ton shackle (1" pin) will work but..... bad news is that you will probably have to grind a small amount off the inside surface of the ears for them to fit without binding up over the 1 1/2" tube used in the mounts. If you beat them on, it "springs" the shackle or tries to spread the ears so don't be tempted to try to beat them over the tube to fit. CUCV shackles have a slightly different profile than standard rigging shackles. I have checked the clearances using Crosby, Peerless, and a could other brands - Commercial 6 1/2 tons need to be ground down about 90% of the time.

It doesn't reduce the strength of the shackle enough to really matter considering the thickness of the mounts, but once a rigging shackle has been modified or ground down in ANY way, it is permanently unusable for crane/lifting use. On rigging equipment you're paying a premium because it's been certified safe for a specific load. Made in USA Crosby 6 1/2 tons normally sell for about $45-50 each when new - that's a lot of money to spend for something that you will have to grind to fit and that should no longer be used for it's originally intended job (lifting). Your other option is Made in China off-brand shackle which are cheap, but I just don't feel right putting overseas made junk on my vehicle. You may be better off biting the bullet and buying some used CUCV-specific shackles which are guaranteed to fit with no modifications at all.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have a bunch of them that I'm taking to the GA rally. If you know someone that is coming, throw them a 10 per shackle (includes pin) and they can get what you need.

I don't ship, sorry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks