• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Snow Plow Trucks and Spreaders

cucvrus

No I am not allowed to buy company surplus. Conflict of interest. I am OK with that. I am the seller of scrap and surplus salvage so that would not be fair. I did end up with some things but the big stuff is traceable and not worth the hassle. It is in all fairness that I just scrap the stuff. Thats still a while away. They were all mine at one time anyway. I sold them to the company.

o1951

No I am not allowed to buy company surplus. Conflict of interest. I am OK with that. I am the seller of scrap and surplus salvage so that would not be fair. I did end up with some things but the big stuff is traceable and not worth the hassle. It is in all fairness that I just scrap the stuff. Thats still a while away. They were all mine at one time anyway. I sold them to the company.
Well, if they allow sales to third parties, sounds like a nice way to get one that has not been DMRO's or had the driveshafts forklifted,

cucvrus

Well, if they allow sales to third parties, sounds like a nice way to get one that has not been DMRO's or had the driveshafts forklifted,
I would say when I get rid of these trucks they are scrap steel. That has been my experience thus far. The last 2 CUCV's were M1010's that I converted to plow trucks/pick-up trucks. The Dana 60 in one had a static leak crack at the center carrier casting and both outer steering joints/king pins/hubs/knuckles were worn beyond repair. The other one was rusted to the point that the frame broke behind the cab. I took a few parts but for the most part they were scrap. This plowing is very hard on vehicles. And you don't have to worry about DRMO denting them. i break them and dented a few already also. I like the M1031 with the plow. But with the limited rear visibility is is not very handy for me. That is a straight forward plow truck. Nice set up. I want to get another scoop/V plow on the next new truck. I want to lookinto a snow blower for the front of one. Then again maybe not.

cucvrus

Today I installed the plow back on the M1008 and I decided to have the truck serviced at the shop. No dealer. The front drive shaft is still out for repair. Anyway. The helper could not get the spin on oil filter to spin off. I told him he was turning it the wrong way. He said no. About that time the Snap-On guy showed up and had a strap wrench socket on sale. I said hey will that will work on an oil filter. He said yes. I said I need a demonstration. He said OK what do I have. I said an oil filter on this truck. I gave him a welding coat and he crawled up under and put his strap socket on the filter and took a long 3/8" ratchet and extension and said OK its off. I said no its not, and it was off. I saw the steel oil filter(blue Point) bending when my guy was trying to get the filter off. This did the trick in a few seconds. It would be great for big fuel/oil filters and exhaust pipes. I was going to get the chain wrench when Snap-On showed up.DSCF6332.jpgDSCF6331.jpgDSCF6333.jpgCool thing was it is 1/2" on one side and 3/8" on the other. It is warranted for life. Sold it to me Snap-On. Like a kid att a candy store. DSCF6333.jpgAny guesses on price? Everything is 100% warranted for life.

CUCVLOVER

Today I installed the plow back on the M1008 and I decided to have the truck serviced at the shop. No dealer. The front drive shaft is still out for repair. Anyway. The helper could not get the spin on oil filter to spin off. I told him he was turning it the wrong way. He said no. About that time the Snap-On guy showed up and had a strap wrench socket on sale. I said hey will that will work on an oil filter. He said yes. I said I need a demonstration. He said OK what do I have. I said an oil filter on this truck. I gave him a welding coat and he crawled up under and put his strap socket on the filter and took a long 3/8" ratchet and extension and said OK its off. I said no its not, and it was off. I saw the steel oil filter(blue Point) bending when my guy was trying to get the filter off. This did the trick in a few seconds. It would be great for big fuel/oil filters and exhaust pipes. I was going to get the chain wrench when Snap-On showed up.View attachment 607184View attachment 607183View attachment 607181Cool thing was it is 1/2" on one side and 3/8" on the other. It is warranted for life. Sold it to me Snap-On. Like a kid att a candy store. View attachment 607181Any guesses on price? Everything is 100% warranted for life.
Cute little thing.

I use a regular band style oil/fuel filter wrench on my truck. Ive never seen the one you have

cucvrus

Neither did I so I bought it. I figured I could make one but how much time would I have into it? And the ends I cut would be razor sharp. Why have a cobbled up knock off when you can have a warranted original. The best and my favorite warranty is the one I never have to use. it is just reassuring to know that the manufacturer of the product was comfortable enough to warranty their product for LIFE. Regardless of what it is. I seen some real humdingers of tools already. this was well built and worked so well I added it to my tool box. $60. now that I have it I will use it every time vs the side handle filter wrench. Win Win situation. That's my goal. We all be happy. I have had a few vehicles that took hour to get the over tighten filter off. Them days are over. Besides I see guys spend twice that much changing sonething on a vehicle that don't need changed and decreasing the value/reliability of the vehicle in the process. Have a great day.

Man with all those driveshafts blowing up it sounds like you need to make sure you are completely stopped before banging it into reverse or forward. Not trying to rag on you but I have never seen so many blown up driveshafts doing the same thing.

cucvrus

Not the case. These snapped going forward on 3 of them. One just wore out the flange at the CV joint. One on the real of the m1008 slide off the loading dock while backing up on ice. No worries. No injuries. Parts are replaceable. No injuries is more important. Twisted the splines on the M1028 with the salt spreader on it. And with the volume and depth of snow we received it was breaking everything. I had great traction and was pushing tons of snow with 3300 lbs of bagged salt in the bed. Somethings gotta give. I have been plowing for 35 years. This was the worst storm we had since 1996. This one was actually worse. The 2015 GMC was a warranted repair. The plow was a GM demo plow set up so they covered it. Really nice since the truck had 2600 miles on it. The snow pushed hard and long runs with buildings on both sides are hard to manage with light trucks. The truth is the CUCV's had met their match. This was an extreme storm and we had40+ inchs at some places where it blew off roofs. We are up and operational again and only lost 1 day and 5 drive shafts. WIN WIN for us and the company was happy. Drive shafts they make more. Transfer cases that's a more expensive break. I will take u joints, yokes and drive shafts anyday over transfer cases and axles.A few broken yokes for good measure. You guys like up grading things. I do too. The BOB cats and front end loaders owned this type f snow. Hands down. I was paid well to remove the snow and my company is happy with me and mt crew. WIN WIN. Overtime pay is great to just push snow in heated truck while rocking out and drinking coffee. Have a Great day. More breakage to come I am sure of that. Just fix as we go. If I start blaming people I loose good helpers. I just train them better if I see abusive damage.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought previously you had posted they did not warranty the 2015 truck, they changed their mind?

bwilson7990

Not the case. These snapped going forward on 3 of them. One just wore out the flange at the CV joint. One on the real of the m1008 slide off the loading dock while backing up on ice. No worries. No injuries. Parts are replaceable. No injuries is more important. Twisted the splines on the M1028 with the salt spreader on it. And with the volume and depth of snow we received it was breaking everything. I had great traction and was pushing tons of snow with 3300 lbs of bagged salt in the bed. Somethings gotta give. I have been plowing for 35 years. This was the worst storm we had since 1996. This one was actually worse. The 2015 GMC was a warranted repair. The plow was a GM demo plow set up so they covered it. Really nice since the truck had 2600 miles on it. The snow pushed hard and long runs with buildings on both sides are hard to manage with light trucks. The truth is the CUCV's had met their match. This was an extreme storm and we had40+ inchs at some places where it blew off roofs. We are up and operational again and only lost 1 day and 5 drive shafts. WIN WIN for us and the company was happy. Drive shafts they make more. Transfer cases that's a more expensive break. I will take u joints, yokes and drive shafts anyday over transfer cases and axles.A few broken yokes for good measure. You guys like up grading things. I do too. The BOB cats and front end loaders owned this type f snow. Hands down. I was paid well to remove the snow and my company is happy with me and mt crew. WIN WIN. Overtime pay is great to just push snow in heated truck while rocking out and drinking coffee. Have a Great day. More breakage to come I am sure of that. Just fix as we go. If I start blaming people I loose good helpers. I just train them better if I see abusive damage.
I love your attitude. Haha break stuff, fix it, move on. Keep up the good work! Rockin' out with hot coffee in a plow truck is the best.

cucvrus

I thought previously you had posted they did not warranty the 2015 truck, they changed their mind?
The factory warranty rep said yes cut me some slack. I bought several new GM trucks in the past couple years. I did not soap box the incident. I inquired about expediting the replacement parts and he called me and said he was covering it. The plow was installed by GM and the truck sold at an auction for commercial truck equipment and we ended up with the truck because we are a GM upfitter. My initial thought was we pay. But the cab will not be replaced or repaired. That has been sealed and repaired by me. Really that would be childish to carry on about a tear and dent in the floor. In 10 years in won't even matter. But we only had the truck for 300+ miles and it was used at the truck show to plow and demostrate the salt spreader also. They admitting to people driving it and shifting it ito 4WD in a dry parking lot and plowing sand and dirt to demo the new float down system. Imagine a bunch of salesmen running a truck in 4WD on a tight parking area. The Horror The Horror.

o1951

miles and it was used at the truck show to plow and demostrate the salt spreader also. They admitting to people driving it and shifting it ito 4WD in a dry parking lot and plowing sand and dirt to demo the new float down system. Imagine a bunch of salesmen running a truck in 4WD on a tight parking area. The Horror The Horror.
I imagine some tire smoke and roughed up front tires. On Fords, that takes out the wheel alignment rite quick.

Ok that all sounds legit. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. That much snow and like you said a tight path to push it all sure will put a hurting on anyhting. Awesome that the newer truck got covered under warranty.

cucvrus

Snow Snow Snow. Yesterday I contended with 6-8 inches of fresh fallen snow. This morning much colder 18F and more snow just an inch but makes it icy real quick with the cold and remnants of snow from the day before. Weather forecast calling for 12 inches Sunday , Monday. All the driveshafts and yokes have been repaired, replaced, or rebuilt. I remember seeing a guy saying he paid about $800. for 1 front driveshaft. I had all 5 rebuilt. One rear
1.) M1008 new tube input yoke and U joints
2.) M1008 Front new tube , CV flange face interface, new out put yoke , 3 New U-joints
3.) M1009 Complete rear drive shaft Complete
4.) M1009 New input yoke and 2 new U-Joints
5.) M1009 New front drive shaft everything except CV flange interface.
6.) 2 set of Dana 60 u joint straps with nuts OEM Spicer
7.) 2 sets of rear M1009 U-joint straps and bolts OEM Spicer.
Total bill was $1,090.80
I was comfortable with that.
The Big Red has both new shafts and the M1009 has a new rear shaft. We are back in the game and ready to go. A few minor mishaps with equipment but we are ready for action. Let it SNOW.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks