• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV STAR and Bridge plate.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since this was brought up, and someone mentioned towing, I had a question. If I had my M1009 loaded to ~5500 lbs, and was towing ~1700, for a grand total of ~7200, would I need to throw an 04 on my plate to indicate that I am now quite over 3 tons and pushing 4? Is there a point where you round, or is it just a rough estimate? Or always round up?
On a 1009 the number is 3 for the vehicle alone, 4 with the C showing on the top plate towing a trailer. The C stands for Combination, ie truck and trailer.

Per the manual, the field expedient number is 85% of your total weight, but most vehicles are in the "Standard" list in the manual. I'll dig up the post on that and attach it shortly.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quote:

Originally Posted by M813rc http://test.steelsoldiers.com/gfx_Ol...s/viewpost.gif
Okay, from my copy of FM 5-36 dated May 1985-

To get a weight classification, the following is used:
Weight (empty, loaded, and loaded for highway);
Load on pintle or 5th wheel;
Tires (number per axle, size and PSI);
Distance between axles;
Distance from nearest axle to pintle or 5th wheel;
Outside and inside width of tires or tracks;
Length of track in contact with the ground;
Vehicle NSN.

This all gets sent to STRBE-NBE at Ft Belvoir where they perform some ceremony that quite possibly includes waving an intoxicated newt around above the numbers and they give you the weight classification.

OR, you can look and see if they have already done their rituals and your vehicle is on the Standard list in appendix C-3;

or you can get a field expedient number by using 85% of the vehicle gross weight.

For our purposes here, the CUCV series is (fortunately) listed, the numbers are for empty, then loaded cross country, highway and combination -
M1009 2 3 3 4
M1008 3 4 4 5
M1010 3 4 4 -
M1028 3 4 4 5
M1031 3 5 5 6

Cheers

Last edited:

chief1983

So I guess the simple version for the 09 is, when towing, it should have a 4. I'll need to get my hands on a 4 and this C you speak of if the 4 isn't on the reverse of the 3, and the C isn't on the reverse of what I'm assuming is a blank or a missing plate on my setup.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 383 green bridge plate, in excellent condition. I am in the middle of a restoration on a 1028 and I am going to leave it off. I have to much going on in front of the grill. Let me know if anyone needs it.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both sides should have a stack of thin plates with numbers on them. If you have them all, you should have a 0 and a 4 to use. Yes on the top plate having the C on one side. If you don't have a top plate, the numbers will fall off!

Below are examples of the old "high viz" plate used until halfway through the MERDC period, and the "low viz" introduced in the latter part of the MERDC period and on all 383 camo vehicles (3-colour camo).
686 (tan) vehicles often have the plate painted tan, though the number/C plates usually remain green, and sometimes the whole thing remains green.

While we are on the topic, for US vehicles bridge plates are an Army thing. The Marines do not put bridge plates on vehicles. Don't know about the USAF.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

ryan77

I have a 383 green bridge plate, in excellent condition. I am in the middle of a restoration on a 1028 and I am going to leave it off. I have to much going on in front of the grill. Let me know if anyone needs it.
Il take it im missing it on the 09!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks