• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Starter

CUCVSRK

Hey guys, I need a new starter for my M1009 and I wanted to know what aftermarket starters are crap and which ones are good. Also what is a reasonable price for a good one. Thanks in advace

m38inmaine

They are about $100 on ebay, I have had the best luck with the ones from DB Electrical. Don't forget the new style support bracket.

Firejareen

My starter in my 1028 went out and I had it rebuilt by an electrical type guy that works on alternators and starters. It works good as new now. Check with the guys in your area that rebuild those things and they may be able to get it back like new condition for not much. I think it cost me like $50.

wayne pick

:ditto: Yup, Have yours rebuilt by a reputable shop. You will pay a ton of money for a good new one. The cheaper ones are Chinese crap. Nothing is made here anymore, it's a sin.

rsh4364

mine has a DB 24v.gear reduct. unit on it, works good, but if they dont ask for a core you k now you are kinda gettin a cheap replica of original...IMO...

Last edited:

cucv1833

I had one from (DB Electric 24 GR) on my old truck it worked ok. I now have a spare original direct drive. I like using the local "Electro-Mechanical shop" for starters and alternators. Get a quote for a rebuild and go from there.

rsh4364

If we would all buy locally the US would be a much better place,recently got my optima redtops and they had made in mexico stickers on them , very disapointed in myself for not researching more...

wayne pick

Not to get off topic, but where are Delco and Sears Diehard batteries manufactured? My friend owns an independent mom and pop auto and boat parts store, and the warehouse he deals with has nothing but imported, knock-off parts. He gets alot of returns on parts that were defective right out of the box. It's hard to make money like that. Being a union guy and a vet, I try to buy American, but it's really difficult to find anything made here.

With that said, I find it odd that Wall Mart, the nations biggest purveyor of non American goods is mentioned here so often being a large percentage of our membership is made up of Veterans. I just don't go there. Sorry for ranting on, but it really gets my blood boiling.

ralbelt

I had mine rebuilt about 2.5 years ago, cost $100.00, including a new nose. I have a gear reduction as a spare I think it was almost 300.00. I recently put in a new 6tl battery for the front battery, I was usinging 6tl for the rear and a older group 65? for the front. Now with 2 6tl's WOW does she start fast. Even at 30 degrees last night.

CUCVSRK

The old on is chinese crap but I did'nt want to go throught the trouble of rebuilding the old one so I just bought a new one thanks guys!

kentuckycucv

I just got my starter rebuilt here in town. it was just under $200 bucks. the guys say it is totally rebuilt like a new starter. brushes bushings etc. Anyway i forgot where the small wire starter wire goes on the selinoid. As Im facing the selinoid The right terminal or left terminal. Marked S and R

kentuckycucv

Ok I took a guess 50-50 shot right? anyway I wired it to the right side Terminal as your looking at it. Hooked it up and it works. I had a heck of a time mounting my front bracket. I mounted it to the starter first. then pushed the other end to the block after i got the sarter in. i used a long extension but the angle was wrong. .. and my arms are too big to get my hand up there. so after about half hour and getting an angle extension i was able to get it in... wore me out. Now my sarter sounds like its cranking tooo fast. it really has some pep. I am running 2 1000 cold cranking amp batteries. Made me wonder if i had a 12 volt starter is was cranking so fast. but im sure the guys at Acme electric know what they are doing. When i called them and told them i had a 24v starter the first thing he said was "is it on a Military truck?" he said they have rebuilt a lot of them. so im sure they did a good job. I will let you know.

Keith_J

My starter in my 1028 went out and I had it rebuilt by an electrical type guy that works on alternators and starters. It works good as new now. Check with the guys in your area that rebuild those things and they may be able to get it back like new condition for not much. I think it cost me like $50.
If you are handy, you can DIY for $14 and shipping in parts. Most likely, brushes and bushings are shot. The brushes are an easy replacement, the nose bushing can be a pain. A 1/4" NPT pipe tap will work, along with a long tap wrench.

I did one out in the field a few days ago. Pulling the starter and overhauling it in one morning. The brushes were toast, causing a hot start issue. It spun like new once fixed.

2deuce

I need to replace the brushes in my starter can anyone give me pointers. At first glance the brushes look riveted to the case. I only want to do what I have to, to get them replaced. 2 are burnt. Thanks

2deuce

I did take one brush out. The wires are riveted. I don't know what a burnt brush looks like. Can it be cleaned and re-used?. I had the starter sent out and tested and was told 2 brushes were burnt. Spray with brake cleaner? How did the shop that tested the starter determine a burnt brush? The starter did run but there was a burnt electrical smell. Thanks

2deuce

I took out all the brushes, cleaned them and the armature, commutator area and put them back in. They all looked the same. Everything was dirty, very dirty like the starter was sitting in oily water at one time. I found this starter in the bed of a CUCV with a H tag saying it was unserviceable. The smell I mentioned in the previous post was very faint, not something anywhere near the smell a fried starter will give off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks