• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Starters

junker46

Quick background: bought a `1009 Blazer that had evidently been submerged at one point and starter was toast. I took it to a rebuilder and got it back. He had gutted it and replace the 'innerds' and showed me the crap he took out.

Got it installed and hit the key. Horrific clanging tortured metalic sound. Second try same results. Didn't press my luck too far and stopped. Don't want to damage it or the flexplate.

When I orginally removed it there were no shims, nor a foward bracket to help support the weight (I have heard there was a heavy version and later, a light-weight version starter: I'm assuming this is one of the light weight ones).

So my questions are: am I missing some quirk of installing; do I need shims; do I have a incorrect tooth-count starter?

Suggestions?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way to know for sure if you need shims is to read the TM and check for clearance at the flywheel.

Here is a link with all the info about "NO SHIM" starters, the old Direct Drive and the new Gear Reduction starters.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/49893-dumb-newbie-starter-question.html

It is possible that the rebuilder changed the nosecone and now you need shims.

On a Diesel engine you should always use a support bracket. The cost to replace parts is too great. How much would you pay to replace a broken block?

Last edited:

junker46

Well, I'm not sure if it is the same housing. It does fit. But the rebuilder said he 'gutted' the old and replaced it with new internals. So on that assumption I thought it'd bolt back in. However....

When I picked it up the starter had to be 'persuaded' to start with a cou[le of thumps from a hammer. So it may have had an issue all along.

I had to drop the starter to get the transmission shield off and it looks like that'll be a on-and-off issue to get the starter properly shimmed and the cover back in place (i.e. had to drop the starter to drop the shield and reinstall the starter to try to figure where and how to take a measurement).

What am I looking for exactly? I can see the teeth of the starter but aren't they retracted when deenergized? Also no bracket either, so I'll need to source one. I see the bolt hole in the block and the fwd attachment lug on the starter.