• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv starting procedures

87k5

Hello I am new to this forum and I have done some searches here and elsewhere to find my answer and I can't find it and I need a straight forward answer.

84 CUCV bought from GL Fort Bragg NC had no alts and bats other than than that it is complete. I don't know the last time it ran.

Got the alts w/ isolated grounds bench tested to work, and two optima red tops. Installed everything and hoped for the best.

The engine turns over fine but it won't light off.

Q1. Are there any common problems that I should investigate first. With a vehicle that has sat for so long are there things I should investigate before hoping for a light off.

Q2. Is there a glow plug light in the cab that will illuminate when the key is turned to acc. and extinguish when the glow plugs are hot enough? When tuned to acc my gen2 light lights up should both of them light up?

Q3. Is there an easy way to clean out the fuel lines wothout taking the whole fuel system off the truck? I suspect there is bad fuel in the vehicle considering I do not know how long it sat for.

Any information would be great because my cucv is lacated 50 miles from where I live so trips there are few and I like to make them as productive as possible.

Thanks,
Charlie

ChalkOutline

Welcome to the madness!
The glow plug controller often has issues, do a search for that there are enough threads already out there.

Also which CUCV did you get. 1008 (Blazer), or the 1009 (Truck)? My 1009 does not have a glow plug light (that I have found). You may need to change the fuel filter too, it's a $50 part (search fuel filter and you will find the link).

I'm new here too, so you will have to wait for some of the guru's to give there insight on the rest.

Good luck!
Jeff

mangus580

CUCVs have a 'wait' light. its close to a glow plug light, but not quite.

I would do a search on Q1... TONS of answers to that, and as to why your CUCV wont start.

Most CUCV's dont have an ACC position in the key...

As for the fuel... Fix the 'starting' problem first... and I think you wont have a 'bad fuel' problem.

HeadWizard

Also which CUCV did you get. 1008 (Blazer), or the 1009 (Truck)? My 1009 does not have a glow plug light (that I have found). You may need to change the fuel filter too, it's a $50 part (search fuel filter and you will find the link).
Don't pay $50 for a fuel filter! They can be had most anywhere from $17 to $25 - Advance, Autozone, Carquest, etc.

Hook up a voltmeter to one of the glowplugs and test to see if it's getting voltage for a period of time IMMEDIATELY after you turn the key from OFF to Ignition. If no voltage (24V), then trace backwards to the glow plug relay and see if it's getting a voltage signal. Continue tracing back until you find where the voltage begins. That will tell you the source of the failure.

I think you typed the model numbers backwards. M1009 is the Blazer and M1008 is the truck (at least in my world).

Good luck!

Somemedic

Confirm ur plugs get hot, then confirm ur getting fuel to the cylinders. A rest light on the tip of the gp hooked to the gp lead will let you know (May burn a 12v bulb out, you immediately get 24v and then steps down to 14v). You may also have a bad set of plugs. Confirm if they are and report back. You may not get a response in 5min but you will get somebody to chime in an hour or so...

"Search" feature works well as well as the tM section of the board.

ChalkOutline

Don't pay $50 for a fuel filter! They can be had most anywhere from $17 to $25 - Advance, Autozone, Carquest, etc.
( I was going off of this http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=27151 post for that info).

I think you typed the model numbers backwards. M1009 is the Blazer and M1008 is the truck (at least in my world).

My bad :oops:, I said I am new to this ;-).

CUCVs have a 'wait' light
Magnus, where is the "wait" light on the 1008? I didn't see one on mine.
thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

ONTOS66

The FIRST thing you need to do, is download a full set of the TMs for this vehicle series. They are all available on this site. Look for TM 9-2320-289-10, -20, etc.

Page 2-2 of the "-10" (operators manual) has an illustration of the instrument cluster and identifies each gauge, trouble light, etc.

The 'wait" light is at the top of the instrument panel between the speedometer and fuel gauge. This applies to ALL models: 1008, 1009, 1010, 1028. It sounds like the bulb may be out in that indicator - changing bulbs is a great way to exercise your fund of, and create new profanity.

Both gen lights should come on when you turn the ignition key on, and go out when the engine starts. See the "-10" (operators manual) for detailed information.

Before you start buying fuel filters, removing fuel systems, turning the truck upside down and shaking it, etc. start with the bascis - download and read the TMs and many of your basic questions are answered.

There are even trouble shooting guides in the TMs for many common problems.

Once you have the manuals, see about changing the bulb on the "wait" light. And proceed step by step through the other problems, using the information in the Tms - and tips from SS folk when the book answer doesn't help.

Enjoy your toy - make sure you have room in the drive for more - they "breed" like rabbits! :wink:

Michael

q2 There are two square holes top center of the black plastic dash. One is wait light and one is water in fuel. All cucvs and all diesel civi trucks have them. If you do no you have had a civi gas dash replacement. The wait light is controlled from the glow plug card and is on a timer. It coming on or not is not directly related to the glow plugs being on or not.

You will not get the voltage drop to app 14 volts if all of your glow plugs are bad. Burnt out glow plugs are a common problem and there is a lot of info here about it.

If you resort to starting fluid be sure to unhook the glow plugs or you risk damaging your motor.

Mudstone

Step one. Google
Step two. Read your TMs
Step Three Search the boards as starting a CUCV has been beaten to death repeatedly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks