• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv steering column

100acre

Hello all. I have had umpteen problems with the column, my turn signal sticking to the left, the failure of the horn to work, a bad ignition, and non workingish wipers. Some time ago I purchased a steering column from a SS member, and I cannot recall who it was. Anyway I recently got a chance to install it, and after having done so it failed to do anything right. aua Does anyone out there know where I can purchase a new or rebuilt one? LMC only has some shiny chrome thing. Tanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to the proper forum.

if you are replacing it, why not get one with tilt? A lot of civvy pickup and suburbans had them.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would also recommend a used GM tilt column , most pick a part salvage yards should have one . How bad is your old column , GM non tilt is a easy shaft to rebuild , just follow a GM Tech Manual and you should have no problem and all the parts are available . good luck

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 steering column

My 1010 had a smaller late 89 suburban civi tilt in it when I got it until a fat guy crawled through the window and broke off the signal assembly. We put in another one in off an earlier 80's series with the big ol' standard GM wheel and they plug in like lego. Have a look at the plug before you go shopping if you're optioning civi. One never knows what has already been changed.

This new column has the Cruise buttons on the signal handle but I still haven't figured out how to get that one working.

Tilt is nice.

Attachments

Hasdrubal

I also have a civy column that I swapped in. Yes, tilt is nice, but as I'm not overweight..I rarely use it. Now the intermittent wipers..this is a must have if you live anywhere where it rains often. Also the smaller diameter steering wheel has a better driving feel, and the thicker rim feels nicer.

Last edited:

sierrajcharlie

I also have a civy column that I swapped in. Yes, tilt is nice, but as I'm not overweight..I rarely use it. Now the intermittent wipers..this is a must have if you live anywhere where it rains often. Also the smaller diameter steering wheel has a better driving feel, and the thicker rim feels nicer.
I was wondering if the intermittent wipers work with the original wiper motor. I swapped my column out and everything works, except for the intermittent wipers. I pulled the control box and on one side are the 5 pins on the other 7 pins from the column. I ohmed the box and the 5 that go straight thru ohm at .02 ohms. Are the other 2 for the intermittent function and if so what kind of an ohm reading should I get if I ohm back thru them to the column?. I didn't think to try ohming them when I had it apart. Thanks!

Hasdrubal

Yes, it works with the original wiper motor/washer pump. Not sure about your resistance question or how many pins, since it was over 6 years ago when I installed it. Perhaps your intermittent control unit is faulty. One thing I can tell you is that occasionally my intermittent feature stops working. I've traced it to the two wire plug that goes into the wiper motor. Have to give it a little adjustment, then it starts working again. Cleaning the connections here might cure this. I've held off as I have a new wiper motor assembly I'm installing this week when I take out my windshield to seal it.

sierrajcharlie

So when the intermittent function isn't working do the low and high work? I hadn't thought about the plug being an issue since they work. I actually replaced the motor again over the weekend and cleaned all the connections good and even used dielectric grease on all the connections under the hood. When I got the 09 hi speed didn't work, switch. Long story short, I swapped out the motor cause it ran slow. It still ran slow and no hi speed cause of the switch. I swapped columns a couple of weeks ago and still no hi or intermittent. That's when I found out hi speed was shot in the motor I put in. Put the old motor back in and it worked fine on hi. So I am looking for another control unit to replace this one but my luck with used parts lately hasn't been the best. Thanks for the info.

Hasdrubal

Yes, when the intermittent function stops working the low,high speed and single wipe still work. The connection at the plug requires more than just moving it a little. I usually find out when its raining, so I get out with the wipers set on intermittent and try moving it slightly it in different directions until it starts up again. As I said this is temporary. I had cleaned the connections before but it might be some corrosion or the plug itself doesn't hold the connections together properly.

sierrajcharlie

I know you said it's a few years ago that you did it so I just want to double check on a couple of things. You said the 2 wire plug that goes into the wiper motor. The actual plug for the wiper control is a 3 wire plug. The park switch and the washer pump are each two wire plugs. I've installed a different washer pump so that connector is no longer hooked into the wiper motor assembly. If that's the you're talking about, I think that's the answer to why it's not working right.

sierrajcharlie

After looking at the wiring schematic again the park switch and the lo of the wipers share a ground wire connection. I saw if before but thought how could that affect this but........... I'll try cleaning that up and see if it helps. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks