• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Steering wheel

cucvrus

DSCF2873.jpgAnyone ever seen a steering wheel like this in a CUCV. I am talking OEM? I have seen 2 so far in the past 30 years. I know this one was original. I have it for the past 20 years. My Son put a tilt column in his truck today. DSCF2881.jpgDSCF2882.jpgEver seen that type of steering wheel? We have had that one for years also. It is leather wrapped and very nice. It could use some cleaning but we have have had it in the barn for 15 + years. Everything works as designed and the ignition cylinder is still the same as OEM CUCV. It now has intermittent wipers.

cucvrus

Direct fit. I would say 1 hour and you can change it. The intermittent control box came with the column. I bought a 1990 GMC Jimmy for parts and it is an SLE and loaded with everything nice. I would not do power windows and locks but it has themDSCF2858.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curiosity made me go look. Sure enough, two of two CUCVs does not have that pictured 'wheel, but the '82 Suburban does.
Now I'll have to dig up photos of the two M1009s I've sold and find out what they had.

richingalveston

same wheel that came with my 87 suburban steering column. I think that wheel came with certain trim packages but not cucv unless they were out and I think they put what they had

someoldmoose

Is the airbag hooked up ? Kidding . . . sort of. Make absolutely sure that the wires to the bag have NO WAY of coming into contact with power and ground (static electricity included) unless you LIKE loud surprises. Otherwise it is a wonderful upgrade. One thing GM did that was nice with the remote "pulse box". Newer style has the box integral on the wiper motor assembly, so nice -- free upgrade to intermittent.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never paid attention to the CUCV steering wheel much. It usually goes right in the trash and a GM 4 spoke takes it's place.

cucvrus

Is the airbag hooked up ? Kidding . . . sort of. Make absolutely sure that the wires to the bag have NO WAY of coming into contact with power and ground (static electricity included) unless you LIKE loud surprises. Otherwise it is a wonderful upgrade. One thing GM did that was nice with the remote "pulse box". Newer style has the box integral on the wiper motor assembly, so nice -- free upgrade to intermittent.
I knew that someone was going to think it was an air bag / supplemental restraint wheel. I said that to my Son when we were putting it in. I removed it from an early 90's Chevrolet cutaway van chassis because it came on a fleet van 1 of hundreds and it was the only one that had the leather wrapped steering wheel. The factory sent the correct wheel and I installed it. This wheel is about 20+ years old. I think harder and it came from the older body style GM van and they discontinued that in 1996. NO airbag on this wheel. It does have a big honey comb aluminum cardboard core under the horn pad. It was a direct fit and the horn pad plugged right in. Works and fits well. Is about 1" closer then the stock wheel was. As far as the other steering wheel I have pictured (seen 2) the other one I seen was in a new CUCV that was being in-serviced at the time. I also seen a few with GMC horn pads from new. 1987 Chevrolet's had these type of wheels and they were all built on the same assembly line in Flint. So I see it happening. I still get new vans with one vinyl seat and one cloth seat, chrome bumper with black grille. Not sure how it happens but it does. and the skew ticket on the seat have the correct VIN. Have a great day. Thanks for looking. I put the 4 spoke wheel from the 1990 column in the barn. Had a GMC horn center cap.

fitz

Thank you. I've owned a few 90-91 civy blazers & suburbans with them. Your right, the wiring would be a pain to deal with. Thanks anyway.

coecamo

I swapped out my steering column in my 85 M1008 with a civi 88 steer column I wanted tilt and intermittent wiper bolted right in. I replaced firewall seal around column.

cucvrus

Anyone know is that what someone in the "parts wanted" is calling a type 2 steering wheel? I removed this from a 1987 M1009 many years ago. I was parting out the truck and found it odd that this wheel was in it. I seen a few more CUCV's with this wheel. Anyone know? Have a Great Day. Stay Warm and Be Safe. DSCF2873steering wheel.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks