• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV stock power

PhillyAR

Considering the low (relative to today's diesels) rated HP on CUCVs do you feel under-powered when driving them ? I imagine that on the road they are not the fastest, but is the acceleration to the point where it is annoying to drive ? How about off-road ? Do they have to strain to get thru rough stuff, or is this not an issue ?

I guess what I'm asking is how is the power/acceleration compared to a stock 350 gas motor with a 2 bbl carb ?

I drive a one ton van for work. I am typically rolling at about 7000 lbs with my standard tool loadout in back. The van is only rated at 235 HP. I accept that it is a work van and not a car and considering what I weigh I never feel like I have a lack of power/acceleration. How would this compare to a CUCV with just a driver, fuel, and maybe 300 lbs of gear ?

philjafo

Depends on what model you got, while none of them are fast the m1009 is the best as a daily driver due to lighter weight and 3.08 gears, and if you need the pulling power theres low range in the transfer case. These trucks were meant for millitary use and that means offroad utility and fuel economy. Compared to a stock smog era 350 2 bbl carb about the same hp but the gas moter will do more rpms and the 6.2 has more ft/lbs so its apples and oranges.

philjafo

Don't know how to post a link to another thread but search "just a few good reasons to own a cucv" lots of good stuff in that one

IROC99

My M1009 was sluggish, then noticed vacuum regulator on top of engine was taken out of loop for some reason. Reconnected and shifting was greatly improved. I wonder if it was disconnected to improve mpg on base, etc. as it shifted very early to 2nd and 3rd keeping the rpms low. Was not good on the highway though.

IROC99

Barrman

Are you asking about a 1009 or a 1008 truck to replace your work van? It really matters because the 1009 has 3.08 gears as pointed out above. The truck versions have 4.56 gears.

Here is a good comparison from my last two weekends. A weekend ago, Drove over 500 miles mostly on interstates at 65-75 mph with the entire back of the 1009 full of coolers and camping gear. Never got slowed down by hills, kept up with traffic at lights and got 16.1 on a tank of fuel and 18.3 on the other tank of fuel. BFG 33x12.50 AT tires.

Then just this weekend I went about 150 miles pulling a M101 with a cargo cover on it. Maybe 1000 pounds of gear in the trailer. Going with the wind, 65-70 was easy and no problem on the hills. Against the wind and I couldn't maintain 60 mph. Add a hill against the wind and 52 was my hill topping speed for miles and miles and miles. Don't know my mpg yet.

I took off the 101 top for the trip home from the TX Rally. 60-65 was not a problem.

While at the Rally, we did some pretty hairy hill climbs. The 1009 wouldn't go over some of the bumps in 2hi. Drop it down into 4lo and it was a hill climbing monster. Much easier to drive on the trails than my M715 and could go everywhere the lockered XZL tired 715 does. Just easier and with less driver effort.

A stock 1009 with everything tucked inside and out of the wind is a great go anywhere vehicle. Add drag or a trailer and you start wishing for more power. But I didn't wish for $2000 worth of Banks power which means I will just live with it and drive it as it is.

The trucks have the gearing to pull anything, just not over 50-55 mph. I don't have enough wheel time on them to comment though.

That help any?

Iceman3005

1008 speeds up very slow and top speed is 55, I have had it up to 70 but its pretty close to red line at the speed, wouldn't recommend that for a constant speed. As far as pullin it does pretty good, had about 3500-4000 in the bed last summer it took a little longer to get to 55 but when I got there it held it pretty good, even on some pretty steep hills.

Doc Bingo

I would have to agree with your write up ... Good Assesment and it saved me some typing ...

With My M1009 (stock) and with 33x12.5x15 Dura tracs get me everywhere I need and prob places I shldnt be off road, and on highway well ... here in Az if I am doing 60 in the Hills going to Flagstaff (from Phoenix) I am happy with that ... add the trailer with 350-400lbs of gear and on an 6-8% grade going up im doing 52 ish with pedle floored and 45 comfortably going down hill we'll ... THAT WHERE ALL THE FUN IS .... LOL !!!;)

jdemaris

Considering the low (relative to today's diesels) rated HP on CUCVs do you feel under-powered when driving them ?

I guess what I'm asking is how is the power/acceleration compared to a stock 350 gas motor with a 2 bbl carb ?
350 gas engine has much more power then a 6.2.

6.2 has almost identical horsepower, max torque, and peak torque curve as a 305 gas engine with two-barrel carb. 350 gas engine has more power and torque.

All non-turbo diesels have less power then gas engines with the same cubic inches, bore, and stroke. That has caiused confusion over the years with people new to diesels

C-code 6.2 has around 136 max horsepower and 240 l bs. of max. torque at 2000 RPM.

J-code/commerical/military 6.2 has 140-155 max horsepower with 248 lbs. max. torque at 2000 RPM.

305 gas engine has 150 max horsepower and 240 lbs. max. torque at 2000 RPM (1985 LG4 engine)

305 gas engine with four-barrel carb - 155 max horsepower and 260 lbs. max. torque at 2000 RPM (1979 CA version).

350 gas engine has 165 max horsepower and 275 lbs. max torque at 1600 RPM. (1985 LS9 engine)

350 gas engine has 210 max horsepower and 300 lbs. max torque at 2800 RPM. (1992 VIN K TBI engine)

BIG_RED

I personally find my M1009 fun to drive. It's got decent acceleration up to 35 Mph if it's engine is warm. It's no race car, but it's not aggravating. My father's toyota that has to rev up to like 4000 rpm to start moving - THAT'S ANNOYING!

PhillyAR

Are you asking about a 1009 or a 1008 truck to replace your work van? It really matters because the 1009 has 3.08 gears as pointed out above. The truck versions have 4.56 gears.
No, I am not thinking of replacing my work van with a CUCV. I just mentioned my van for comparison sake.

Thanks for all the input guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks