• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV suburban?, or converted. PICS

parlusk

I ran across this for sale today, the guy said its an old Air Force suburban used to haul equipment. The inside looked just like the m1009, bare bones blackout lights etc... I have always heard there were no suburbans in the cucv program. Just wanted to get some input. I may call and get the vin and run a carfax on it. He said it had a 350 which raised my suspicions. What do you guys think? just a converted civi?

sur.jpgsur2.jpgsur3.jpgsur4.jpgsur.jpg

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military has bought thousands of suburbans. I have never seen one that was a Mxxxx series. Looks to me like conversion/clone. Seeing the VIN or a government data plate will answer the question.

The Canadians did buy some off the wall stuff.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be fun to track down the origins of it. Frankly, it looks like the one Jim "Ike" Newton built about 10 years back.

DUECE-COUPE

Do the black out markers or drive lights have a switch inside to isolate them. I too would look for the data plate on the door jam of the drivers door. Looks cool. Wouldn't mind have it for myself.

max bowtie

Interesting. I vacation in WV every year and there are a ton of blue, government suburbans running around at the Green Bank Observatory. I even asked about them and they said that they use them because of the lack of computers onboard don't interfere with their radio transmissions. They are all 6.2 diesels

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Parlusk, I would agree with the majority that it is probably a clone but would still be nice to have. Agreed that a 6.2 would be nice, as the 350ci seems under-rated for such a large truck. I would most definitely put a 6.2 or 6.5 in it upon purchase but if it drives, you could at least use it while saving some fundage. PM me with what he is asking, if you don't mind. I may be interested in it, if you wind up passing on it.
Thanks Dave

Cucvnut

Do we know if the 350 is a stock 350 ? if not it probably makes more hp and torque than a 6.2, in my 88 burban it moved quite well with a 350 and 37 inch tires.

It's definitely a clone. But it is really awesome!

It could have easily been an Air Force truck at one point, they used a ton of them with every engine option you could get in a civi Suburban. But they were stock Suburbans with a government data plate, no 24v systems/B.O. lights/pintles/tie-down loops.

markg

If you could get the vin we could find out what it was born with. looks like the axels were swapped from a cucv truck. even 3/4 ton 4x4 suburbans came with 10 bolt front ends and most had semi float rear ends. i also noticed the radio antenna on the right fender. let us know. thanks

Skinny

I have yet to see that vintage rig with a FF 14 bolt in a 4wd configuration, only the 2wd rigs get that.

I concur, unless you see a 24v system or any other BO light switches stock, more than likely a clone. I'd still drive it :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it's either got a 10 bolt front or a Dana 44. Those are not Dana 60 hubs. The heaviest 3/4 ton 4x4s in the 80's did have a FF rear. Not seen too many of these. Also, unless it was converted to gas, it's not Jim Newtons as I mentioned earlier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks