• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Tachometer

GM tach from 6 cylinder diesel c60 / c70 from 73-86 era.... more common is the 5000 rpm version from the 8 cylinder. You can also mod a standard tach (without the fuel gauge) by cutting the curved window shape in the bottom area of a standard GM tach of the same type and trimming a small fuel gauge from the same panel / dremel-ing the plastic idiot light mount and relocating those 2 idiot lights elsewhere - and repainting the face to whatever rpm scale / recalibrating it.

What escapes me is why these combo gauges were only available on the class 4/5/6 trucks (2 ton and up) pre 80's when as an option I'm sure many pickup owners would have loved them! Especially those with manual transmission or diesels... Ditto the 100mph speedo that is out there...

Attachments

Last edited:

760gamemaster

. Ditto the 100mph speedo that is out there...
1977 was the last year for the 100 mph speedo for a long time thanks to Jimmy Carter his regime mandated that speedos only go to 85mph with the theory that tis would make his 55mph national speed limit easier to swallow if the needle looked like you where going faster.

Timber

GM tach from 6 cylinder diesel c60 / c70 from 73-86 era.... more common is the 5000 rpm version from the 8 cylinder. You can also mod a standard tach (without the fuel gauge) by cutting the curved window shape in the bottom area of a standard GM tach of the same type and trimming a small fuel gauge from the same panel / dremel-ing the plastic idiot light mount and relocating those 2 idiot lights elsewhere - and repainting the face to whatever rpm scale / recalibrating it.

What escapes me is why these combo gauges were only available on the class 4/5/6 trucks (2 ton and up) pre 80's when as an option I'm sure many pickup owners would have loved them! Especially those with manual transmission or diesels... Ditto the 100mph speedo that is out there...
Tachometers were an option on 1/2 ton 73-87 trucks, but most didn't check the box. The 100 mph speedometers were used until 1980 when banned by the government. They were required to read 85 mph max with some sort of emphasis on the 55 mph mark, the maximum speed limit allowed at the time.

Anubis8472

They should have a govenor so that you really can't over rev them unless perhaps going down a steep hill with the engine holding you back. In arizona one of the emission tests is to floor them in neutral and check the emssions. I think mine would rev to a little over 3000.
I would beat the crap outa somebody if they ever did that to one of my vehicles.
Thankfully we havn't had emmisions testing here since the early/mid 90's

What size are those gauges that fit into the gen light holes?
I'd rather not loose my gen lights, but swapping a tack in place of the 4wd light would be ideal.

The tiny tach looks cool, but I absolutely hate digital gauges, the only thing worse is a 'fake sweep' digital bar. No matter how accurate, I find myself constantly questioning them.
"Wait, wait, what if it's in between this light and that light?"
"Did you see that? The thing just skipped four numbers!"
Analog gives me an 'out of sight out of mind' peace.

chevyCUCV

I have a 100mph speedometer from a 80's chevy. Must have been swapped in?
Ill dig it out and snap a picture

Now im going to search for a 4/5/6 for parts i want those guages so bad:drool::drool:

unaffiliated

Just Dashes has a gauge conversion for 73-87 Chevy/GMC trucks. It includes a large tach where the fuel gauge normally is and a full gauge set up including a relocated fuel gauge for the holes on the left. I am not sure if the tach works on diesels. I have been meaning to call them and ask but keep forgetting. Also not sure what other modifications would have to be done to make it all work but I sure do want it when ever I have a few hundred extra dollars, LOL. In the meantime, I am going to install a cluster with gauges from a civvy truck I have. I'll just relocate the GEN lights and 4WD light. Here is the link:

Replacement Gauges