• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV towbar for rent/loan between Tampa and Atlanta?

RallyRebel

My recent M1028 acquisition came to an untimely demise a couple weeks ago on I-75 south of Atlanta:

Insurance totalled it out Friday and I ended up buying it back as salvage, which means I need to go get it. Again. This time, however, I'm going to pull it 4-down rather than on a trailer (which I no longer have anyway!). I've got a WTB ad for a towbar but thought to ask if anyone that lives near I-75 between Tampa and Atlanta has one they'd care to rent or loan. Once done I can return it personally within a fairly reasonable amount of time as I visit Atlanta regularly, or can ship if needed sooner.

Thanks,

Joe Black

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless I am missing something, isn't that a M1008??? Not a dually????(M1028A2)??????

ONTOS66

WOW! Sorry for your loss - but there has to be an interesting story that goes with that photo.

Good luck with the recovery / restoration.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
What brand tie downs did you use. They seem to up to the task. Bad timing as you could have borrowed my towbar before Aberdeen, but now it is up here in Va. at home.

RallyRebel

And for the rest of the story...

I originally purchased this M1028 from brtruckparts on eBay a while back and flew out to Kansas City to drive it home. The seller had converted it to 12V and installed a new battery, starter and alternator. The journey home to Florida started out fine and a friend who is a fellow military vehicle collector had come along for the "adventure", little did he know how much that was about to come true! We made it about halfway across Missouri when the alternator belt self-destructed. At our second fuel stop I noticed the alternator belt was misaligned and riding in the forward belt-groove as it was too short for the driver-side mounted alternator. I had hoped it would make it to the first autoparts place I could find off the interstate, but it only got us within 30 miles. Since there's no temp gauge, just an idiot light, I decided to pull off at an exit with fuel to check things out. We topped off the tank and got what was left of the belt off the fan hub and decided to press on the autoparts store 30 miles up the interstate since the battery was fully charged and it was daytime still. But the truck wouldn't start. Went through the whole routine checking fuel, filter, glow plugs, shut-off solenoid and had the seller on the phone going over the same stuff. Still no start through all this until the battery gave out.

AAA was called and got us up the road to a small town with an AutoZone. Spent the next few hours there getting the proper belt on the alternator, adding a second battery and they charged the dead one as well. Put in all new glow plugs and double checked everything I could possibly think of, unfortunately they didn't have a new fuel filter so I shook and drained the one I had a few times. After all this we got it to start by holding about 3/4 pedal, then got back on the road.

We made St. Louis about 8PM after leaving Kansas City 12 hours earlier, but just on the south side heading out of town the power decreased on the truck the it shut down leaving us on the shoulder of the off ramp. So now we go through the whole by now well known troubleshooting routine while 75MPH traffic whips by. In the dark.

After a couple hours of no success AAA is called again and gets us to nearby hotel and we crash for the evening. The morning brings a fresh start and I give myself a time limit to get things running as it's now Saturday and I've got to be back in the office on Monday. No success on getting it to start by that time limit so I locate a nearby storage facility and get it towed there where I left it for a 6AM flight the following morning home. An interesting night was spent in St. Louis airport!

A few weeks later I got the CUCV trucked down from St. Louis to a friends place in Atlanta for about $1 mile, which added to the hole in my wallet after booking two next-day airline tickets. My friend in Atlanta is a professional race mechanic and tinkered with the truck for a few days still unable to get it to start. By this time I'm beginning the think the flex-ring in the IP has disintegrated, which is the only thing that hasn't been checked.

My wife and I had a day off scheduled to go to the local Sun-n-Fun EAA fly-in which we instead used to take my Dad's Ford pickup and the trailer up to Atlanta. We spent the time visiting friends and then planned to return Sunday with the CUCV on the trailer and stop at Warner-Robbins to pick up a Mercedes OM617 turbo engine on the way home.

My friend and I took our time to load the truck onto the trailer with as much tongue load as we felt safe, which did leave a good bit of overhang at the rear. Then we strapped and chained the snot out of it. Early Sunday down I-85 to I-75 through Atlanta was nice and easy, and my top end limit was 60MPH in right lane. The first 50+ miles went smooth with the trailer getting only a little squirrely after a semi with a 53' box whipped by us early on. A little pedal straightened it right out.

Well, after that first 50 or so miles another big rig with a long box made an even faster and closer pass and the resulting oscillation was much more pronounced. I tried everything, of course, and only managed to keep everything straight as we spun then slid sideways down three lanes of I-75. Just as we were about to come to a stop unscathed the leading left-front axle of the trailer broke at the hub, causing the trailer to turn turtle as I watched in the rearview mirror. One safety chain broke but the other held, lifting the rear of the truck and preventing me from disengaging quickly. As I got out my wife got on the phone for assistance. While walking around the front of the truck to the other side a trucker passing through the remaining open lane stopped to give me a thumbs up and said I "did real good" which sunk in a little later, considering his perspective on the show I just provided. With some help we got the chain off and was able to get our truck off the road, opening another lane. In just that short time we had nine police cruisers, two traffic trucks, a rollback and a wrecker recovery truck on site.

The law enforcement represented Georgia's state, county and city units and were the most professional and helpful group I've yet to encounter. They were also compassionate and supportive, which helped ease things a great deal for my wife and I. We've even got a few compliments from them on the tie downs too!

So now I guess I'll be looking for a civvie cab with AC to replaced the crushed one, and will respray the entire truck deset tan CARC to keep it military. The interior will be made a bit more "comfortable" but kept utilitarian.

For the curious, you can see all the photos we took at and after the scene here: http://www.planetarydomination.com/M1028/cucv.htm It's just a page of links to the actual pictures, nothing facny as I put it up quick for the insurance folk. The first several photos I took with my phone, the rest Kathy took with her camera. They're big, so be forewarned if you've got a slow connection.

RallyRebel

builder77 said:
What brand tie downs did you use. They seem to up to the task. Bad timing as you could have borrowed my towbar before Aberdeen, but now it is up here in Va. at home.
Not sure of the specific brands, but half came from Wal-Mart and the other from Tractor Supply. I usually keep an eye out when they have sales and will pick up a pair based on having a high working-load rating as most advertise their breaking rating. I'll usually get a new set each year to replace older ones as being in the sun really degrades them over time. The old ones then get relegated to low-strength strapping jobs, like keeping empty 55-gal. drums together.

Don't EVER skimp when it comes to strapping, chains and tie-downs! :wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RR, I don't know if it's of any help but I live near West Palm Beach. If you have anyone who runs back and forth, you are welcome to take my towbar to retrieve your truck.

BigJay

That looks terrible. I'm sorry for your loss, but glad you guys made it out ok. Also glad you didn't damage the tow rig. Some friends of mine lost two mud trucks, a 34' gooseneck, and an F350 on some black ice back in Febuary. Insurance would only cover the F350.

Nice of the tow guys to roll the truck over the OTHER side for you...

I'm curious if you were towing with a halfton Ford? -- scratch that, just looked at the rest of your pics.

-Jay

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it currently in Atlanta? Any chance of wanting to sell it and maybe make a few bucks??

RallyRebel

hndrsonj said:
Is it currently in Atlanta? Any chance of wanting to sell it and maybe make a few bucks??
I'm always interested in making a few bucks, LOL! It's currently located just south of Atlanta in Stockbridge, GA. Shoot me an offer, but keep in mind that it will have a salvage title.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me know what you need for it. One of my best friends owns a tow truck in Rockmart, GA. I am very interested but must be in the next few days or I will head in a different direction :wink: .
Jim

kjasdaddy

1st Sorry for the loss everybody take a moment in silence to morn our loss.

2nd I just learned from your mistakes. I have a M1028 that Im going to take to Texas from Virginia and I was going to tow it with a towbar that would be questionable or to on a trailer that maybe under rated. My truck weights 6k empty. Im going to pay the extra $$$ to have it transported.

Ray
Richmond, VA
M1028 86

RallyRebel

Glad I could help! :p

Tomorrow evening I'll be fabbing up a square-tube version of the military medium towbar, minus the extending feature. Managed to make my own adapters using off-the-shelf components from the local Tractor Supply, which look very nice and are over built as well. Then Friday I head up to Atlanta to make yet another attempt to bring the cursed M1028 home. I'll be sure to post once back with pics and details on the towbar for those interested.

Once I get hitched up Saturday morning the plan is to come down 19 at 45MPH rather than go anywhere near I-75. LOL. I've got three days to cover 440 miles, so I'm in no hurry to meet tragedy! Hopefully the only thing I'll need to worry about after this trip is locating a 4X4 cab with AC, power windows and a title. :wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a stupid question. Dunno what part of Atlanta the truck is at but do you feel up to bringing any parts south? I have the canvas of a GP Medium tent and some smaller stuff at Clinto's house in Stratham GA. I might could beg Clinto to bring the stuff to where you are if you're up to it. The tent probably weighs 250# and maybe 100# in small stuff.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny; how far south in FL are you looking to get the tent/parts? Could possibly mod my trip Sat???

lstmate

The really sad part about this whole story is that a $100 to $150 antisway bar probably would have prevented the loss. For those that tow trailers it is some of the cheapest security that you can buy. If you have ever had a trailer sway from a passing truck then you know how scarey it can be. Nothing you do will stop it and it will put you wherever it wants you to go. The antisway bar stops the sway before it starts. I pull a 33 foot camping trailer with a F150 and use 2 antisway bars on it. I also tighten them as tightas I can when I leave home and recheck them around 50 miles. Something to think about for anyone towing a trailer. I really think there should be a law requiring them on tag-along trailers.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way south. I could go north to meet but not until Sunday. I'm in the West Palm area. Having to work Saturday afternoon I coudn't get very far north at all. Were you coming into FL anyway? Moving this stuff is not a priority at all.
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks