• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV transmission options

bikermichael

I use my 85 M1009 as a daily driver. At highway speed it seems to be winding too tight. I am considering a switch to a manual 5-speed, or another automatic that has 4 or 5 speeds. I want to hear from people that actually completed either of these modifications.

cucvrus

I use my 85 M1009 as a daily driver. At highway speed it seems to be winding too tight. I am considering a switch to a manual 5-speed, or another automatic that has 4 or 5 speeds. I want to hear from people that actually completed either of these modifications.
An M1009 winding out at highway speed? Not likely. They will do 90 all day no problem. They have 3:08 gears from stock. You could put 2:73 gears in it. Not sure. Someone must have changed the gears. The 4;56 gears are way to low for highway. They will make you hear crickets at 65. But the stick shift just seems to make it worse from what I am hearing.

MarcusOReallyus

There are, at last count, 3.4 bazillion threads here on SS about dropping in either a 700R4 or even a 4L80E.

You'll find most of them in the CUCV Hot Rodding and Modification forum, one in the Helpful Threads sticky.

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are driving a stock 1009 at highway speeds it's not over wound. Add insulation to the hood, it will make a huge difference in your perception. Truck is fine at 70-75 all day long. Yes I have one. Yes I drive it. Yes I drive it long miles at those speeds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks