• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV turbos, fuels, info for a newb

kadetklapp

Greetings. I'm interested in getting a M35 deuce sometime in the future. After doing some research, I think it might be best to educate myself on some military hardware that might not be as complicated as the deuce. I've always been interested in CUCVs, but the lack of a turbo and the failure rate of GM/Detroit injector pumps has always scared me off.

For those of you who have them and use them, how do you like them compared to other diesel trucks? I'm looking to run the truck on biodiesel that I make myself. The truck won't be a daily driver but I'll be needing it to be ready to roll at a moments notice. I'm setting the truck up for SHTF senarios and want to make sure it's mechanically sound.

The lack of a seven-digit odo bothers me on military vehicles. For you vets out there, how often does the .mil "roll over" and odometer on a CUCV or even a deuce?

For those of you intimate with the CUCV, is it possible to fit a regular Detroit turbo onto the motor? If so, does this potentially threaten the motor's lifespan since it wasn't developed with a turbo?

How often do the injector pumps fail? I understand these are extremely expensive for the 6.2 and very difficult to replace.

Also, I take it these are not multi-fuel like the deuces are? Any modifications required to run biodiesel?

Last edited:

jumpmasterjim

I find that most CUCVs have under 100,00 miles. I also found that the injector pump is not too difficult to replace. I run a banks sidewinder turbo on my 86 and see a huge difference in performance and fuel consumption. The original 6.2s had some issues that were worked out by the mid 80s. In the 25 or so that I have purchased only one had a bad engine. I don't find this too bad considering that these vehicles are over 23 years old. They were designed to run on multiple grades of fuel, #2 to Jet-A. Haven't run bio diesel yet but plan to. Just my experience. Good Luck

scrambled

I ran B100 in my 6.2 burb. It ate through the old rubber fuel lines pretty quickly. I replaced the small section at the tank and the return lines with viton and had no problems.

kadetklapp

Thanks fellas.

Now, how much does upfitting a turbo usually cost on these? Are junkyard pulls from a 6.5 completely out of the question?

I owned a 1979 Chevy Scottsdale 3/4 Ton for a couple of years. Had a four speed rockcrusher trans, big Dana axles, small block, and tons of rust:?

I ended up with a dead short in the starting system that I could never find. Fusible links I believe. Anyone have electrical problems with the mid-80s CUCVs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks