• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV VIN Number Plate.........

M1A96819

How important is the Vin Numbers located in the driver side door jam needs to be there?

I recently checked out a CUCV here and did not seem to able to locate it where it is suppose to be. Any other place to look at?aua

Are these CUCV's regadless of series M1009, M1008, M1028 etc...still worthy to own if Vin Number plate not found but is already legally registered in that State?

Thanks in Advance:D

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as the VIN plate on the dash is still there you will be okay. Most DMV agents only know to look at the dash location.

I would be curious to know why the door jam plate was removed.

Last edited:

idM1028

I would be a little leary if the one on the door was missing. . . If it was me, I would decode the VIN from the dash and see if it lined up with the truck. (google "Chevy truck VIN decoder" the first thing that pops up should be what you're looking for) If the VIN didn't line up with what the truck actually was, I'd probably just walk away.

Zero_cool

Michael posted this in the FAQ Thread for CUCV's

How to decode your vin number:

1st digit = Nation of Origin
-- 1 = USA

2nd digit = company
-- G = General Motors

3rd digit = division
-- B = Chevrolet, incomplete example contract maintenance trucks
-- C = Chevy Truck
-- 8 = Multipurpose Vehicle All M1009's (blazers)

4th digit = GVWR/Brake System
-- E = 6001 - 7000 Hydraulic
-- F = 7001 - 8000
-- G = 8001 - 9000
-- H = 9001 - 10000

5th digit = Line Description & Chassis Type
-- C = 2 Wheel Drive 1981-86
-- K = 4 Wheel Drive 1981-86
-- D = military 4/4

6th digit = Series
-- 1 = 1/2 ton
-- 2 = 3/4 ton
-- 3 = 1 ton

7th digit = Body Type
-- 4 = 2 Door Cab
-- 8 = Blazer

8th digit = Engine Description
-- J = 6.2L V8 Diesel

9th digit = character is a check digit to verify VIN accuracy using a mathematical formula

10th digit = Model Year
-- B = 1981 F = 1985
-- C = 1982 G = 1986
-- D = 1983 H = 1987
-- E = 1984

11th digit = assembly plant
-- F = Flint

rickf

Are you talking about the manufacturer VIN or the military data plate? The data plate on my CUCV is on the drivers door. Since these are known for rusting is it possible the door was replaced?

Rick

The vin number and stock number are on the plate mounted just in the drivers side door frame under your striker bolt for the door latch that and the vin in the dash are the only to places for the vin numbers. The Vin numbers are stamped in the chassis and through out the body but those are secret lol the loading instructions are on the plate mounted on the door that one doesnt have the vin on it i dont think

Attachments

JUNKYARDJOHN

I believe those were put on by the military, & were used just for identification, & specification pouposes. The actual vin. # is on the left side of the top of the dash, near the windshield on a small plate. They are riveted in place with rosett style rivets that are not available to the general public. Not just pop rivets from your local hardware store. (like the ones holding data plates on)These are what the D.M.V. are supposed to go by when inspecting a vehical. You can buy blank data plates (do a google search) , but its illeagel to buy or sell blank vin plates. I'd still be a little suspicious though. Are the rivet holes there?? John

M1A96819

Dang Nabbit!!!

The vin number and stock number are on the plate mounted just in the drivers side door frame under your striker bolt for the door latch that and the vin in the dash are the only to places for the vin numbers. The Vin numbers are stamped in the chassis and through out the body but those are secret lol the loading instructions are on the plate mounted on the door that one doesnt have the vin on it i dont think
The ones in those photos you provided were not in the driver side door below the striker bolt.

I saw the plate in the driver side door indicating the loading instructions.

M1A96819

Are you talking about the manufacturer VIN or the military data plate? The data plate on my CUCV is on the drivers door. Since these are known for rusting is it possible the door was replaced?

Rick
This is in regard the "United States Property" Vin plate riveted to the cab chassis on the right side just below the striker bolt.:D

JUNKYARDJOHN

I've never found the VIN number any where on the chassis.Would be nice to find it.
They are usually on the left frame rail, on the top near the steering gear box. They are put on before the EDP primer, so they ussually require some judicious wire brushing to find em. I don't admit to knowing much about M.V.s , but I worked at flint assy back in the eighties & saw an awful lot of these cucvs go down the line. About every tenth vehical was a govt. job. John

Last edited:

M1A96819

Cucv dually

So in regards to a M1028A3 Dually for instance, those Manufacture plates my not have been put back after the dually conversion by the Army's motor pool?

josemiguel312

Where can I find the vin numbers stamped on the chassis?

Where can I find the vin numbers stamped on the chassis?
To confirm the truck I want to buy with the documents they are giving me

cucvrus

Also the last 8 of the vin are stamped it the top of the frame behind the cab on the top frame flange. At this late date I think the bed would have to be removed and a sander taken to the frame flange. But they are there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks