• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Voltage Output @ 43v??

83k30

Hey guys, I have a new to me 1986 M1009 that's giving me a headscratcher...I replaced my gen1 alt today and before i hooked my red bat+ lead from the alt to the engine wiring harness block i wanted to check the voltage output at the alt while running. My voltmeter says 43 volts?? Is this because my alt is not hooked to the wiring block and not sensing a charging load? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no alternator/regulator whiz, but yes, I think running the alternator open would result in overly high voltage output.
I also think that it could be a good way to cook said alternator.

83k30

I'm no alternator/regulator whiz, but yes, I think running the alternator open would result in overly high voltage output.
I also think that it could be a good way to cook said alternator.
Well I just got an education in alternators....open circuit is now closed and working great!