• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV vs. Slave Cable

wayne pick

The dog IS human after all. Quick thinking after a momentary lapse saved the truck. Everyone makes mistakes when in a rush, it takes guts to man up and admit it in a forum full of critics. :)

O.D. Fever

I been close

I have almost done that. Thanks to admitting your error.I once towed my garbage can 25 miles at 75 miles a hour to Grand Rapids,MI. Now Annie watches me leave the driveway every Tuesday to make shur the can stops at the end of the driveway. I do have a new set of 20 foot slaves I would make you a good deal on. P.M. me if you need them. Joe:D

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the new avatar!:D

Skinny

Doghead is human? :razz:
Is it just me or does anyone else visualise Elvis working on a MV everytime DH posts??
Any time I read a doghead post, I hear Elvis verbally b!tch slapping me saying something like "uh hey baby, did you read the TM's"

bkwudzhom

Perfect example of why we have this icon!!aua Glad no one was hurt. That could have made for a really bad day.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This morning I scrounged enough used welding cable from my stash to replace the damaged slave cable. I even had new lugs "in stock".

I feel a little better now.

I think the next time I use my slave cable, I'll wrap it around my neck and run a few laps around the truck (like when you drive over your wheel chocks).

You guys do this too, even when your alone, right?:oops:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the procedure from the 361 series TM. Interestingly, it differs slightly that what Derrick posted from the 289 series TM. It still says to disconnect it from both vehicles though!:oops:

TM 9-2320-361-10
2-19. USING SLAVE RECEPTACLE TO START ENGINE

a.
Position right side of slaving (recharging) vehicle to right side of disabled
vehicle.
b.

Shutoff slaving vehicle engine.
CAUTION
When slaving, always connect slave cable to disabled
vehicle first Damage to batteries or cable may result
from improperly connecting cable.
NOTE
Make sure electrical switches on both vehicles are in
OFF position.
c.

Remove cover (2) from slave receptacle (3) and connect slave cable (1) to slave
receptacle (3) on disabled vehicle. Repeat procedure on slaving vehicle.
d.

Start slaving vehicle engine and set idle speed at 1000-1100 rpm.
e.

Start slaved vehicle engine.
f.

After engine starts and is running smoothly, disconnect slave cable (1) from
both vehicles.
g.

Put covers (2) back on receptacles (3).
h.

Clean and stow slave cable (1).
i.

Observe battery/generator indicator (4) on slaved vehicle. If indicator (4) does
not reach green area, notify maintenance personnel.
2-20.

Cycletek

I have a "Remove Before Flight" flag I used on my Choppers when I used my rotor lock. I now have one for my M813 that hangs from my sun visor when I have things attached to my truck.......:deadhorse:

Keith_J

How about popping the hood when you are jump starting with a running CUCV. This way you will have to shut the hood to move it and will see the cables.

3dAngus

This morning I scrounged enough used welding cable from my stash to replace the damaged slave cable. I even had new lugs "in stock".

I feel a little better now.

I think the next time I use my slave cable, I'll wrap it around my neck and run a few laps around the truck :oops:
Well that's good news. :D

My new Ga. Rally donor cable goes back in the bin and I no longer look for the shipping rate on a box weight and size.

Yep. Wrap it around your neck and trip and Amy finishes the job while she writes the check for the hospital bill. :p Now THAT ! would be my kind of luck. :3dAngus:

If you ever need anything, let me know.

citizensoldier

Every time I read doghead's post I can clearly hear his voice and laugh. I then picture him brush hogging rigor mortis horse legs for some reason???? Anyone else have that story stuck in there head? Well it was a bad move for sure but at least you did not burn the truck to the ground.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wish I had a slave cable to worry about! It seems like everybody wants an arm and a leg for them. I am still using regular jumper cables. They work ok, but do not have the cool factor that slave cables have. I never slaved anything off my truck. Someday... :D

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad things weren't too bad for you E!

I've left my cable on the m1008 before, but I have that huge rail bumper that I wrap it around, and it doesn't get out of the yard when its like that.

Glad your ok too, molten lead and big arcs can do major damage!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks