• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Water in fuel, now it won't start

gillean

Hello folks,

We're at a loss here. Due to a bad seal and lots of rain here in Florida I unknowingly ended up with a half tank of water, half diesel. Drove down the road till she died, then found 100% water all the way to the injectors. Here's what I've done (there is an electrical fuel pump already installed right by the tank)

1. Put the fuel tank uptake line into a fresh 5 gal bucket of diesel
  2. Remove and discard old fuel filter
  3. pump fresh fuel up to the new fuel filter and fill it
  4. Crack injectors and pull pink wire on IP
  5. Installed clear tubing on return line from IP (to see water in fuel)
  6. Cranked until fresh fuel was in return line and
  7. Cranked until fresh fuel leaked from injectors
  8. Tightened injectors
  9. Plugged IP back in
  10. Tested all GP for continuity with a test light
  11. Tested GPs for 12v when activated

This truck just cranks and cranks and never gets going. I've also tried putting a spritz of ether in the intake and it doesn't even want to run on that. I've also tried pouring a little diesel in the intake, and it made no difference. I'm sure at this point that all the water has been flushed from the system and there is only fresh diesel in there. The return line is going to the old tank which still has water in it and the diesel from that tank is not being reintroduced into the system because I'm pumping from a fresh 5 gallon bucket.

I'm no expert but I think I've eliminated all problems except a.) IP is done and b.) compression issues?

On that topic how can I test the cylinder compression? I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't run for at least a second on some ether.

Any help is appreciated, I've scoured these forums and read every "won't start" thread I could find. Thanks in advance.

Smokingman

How does the oil look?
I would check for piston movement.Remove a glow plug and check the position of the piston,bump it and check again.A quick and dirty compression check is holding a rag over the open glow plug port,you will feel it if there is any compression at all.

What did it do when it died?

gillean

Oil looks good, no milkshake and it's at the proper level.
I'm thinking it's not hydrolocked because it cranks but doesn't start.
I will try the trick on the glow plug ports.
When the truck died it just shut off, no sputtering or anything strange like that. Also wasn't at high RPMs when it shut off.

The truck went to the shop today, I am thinking the IP is shot but that still doesn't explain why it wouldn't run on ether. I'll post back with the results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks