• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV: What glow plugs to buy? (24volt origial military)

MuddWeiser

I tested 4 glow plugs before I decided I need a new set. 3 out of the 4 did NOT register any voltage with the test light. And I am having starting problems.

I need to know WHAT GLOW PLUGS TO BUY FOR STOCK MILITARY CUCV. I haven't modified any of the glow plug system electronics. I think I need the SELF REGULATING kind?

Are these just regular A.C. Delco 60G's ? I will have to trim the tabs to fit the harness correct?

gasser

I have the same, original 24v setup. However, remember you got 12V at the GPs. 24V is only for the starter.

I went with plugs from SS Diesel Supply; self limiting. However, they have spade/tabs on them - they are not the nipple type. My ends were 'looking bad' anyway, so I didn't mind putting on spade ends.

http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/product_8_Chevy_GMC_6.5_Turbo_Diesel_Glow_Plugs.html

I think you will be pleased with these; I know I am and sure there are tons of other folks here at that can second that.

Hope this helps, take care.

-graham

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those that Walt sells are similar to the 60G plowplugs. For a quick backwoods way to see if your glowplugs are working unplug the harness from the plugs and make a jumper wire from the batt to the glowplugs. In a low light condition strike the hot wire against the GP terminal. If there is sugnificant current draw, a spark will be visible.

MuddWeiser

BUT can I get glow plugs at my local autoparts store? Can I buy the AC Delco 60G? Basically I have 3 hrs until the autoparts store closes and I don't have any transportation until at least Tuesday (3day weekend) I NEED IT RUNNING TODAY and would like to know what plugs I ask for at the auto parts store (like NAPA etc...)

I have the same, original 24v setup. However, remember you got 12V at the GPs. 24V is only for the starter.

I checked with a voltmeter and get 24V at my engine glow plug harness?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mudd, there's supposed to be a drop down resistor on the firewall right above the vacuum pump. Its actually 2 resistors about 8" long with a shield over them. Perhaps an unknown source has bypassed this.

gasser

Mudd,
Yes, the glow plugs are the same as the civvy. If you can't get the 60gs, I believe the 9g are pretty close.

While you are at the auto parts store, get some ether starting fluid. That way you can get the truck started, and diagnose any other issues.

-graham

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use starting fluid, PLEASE unplug the GP system. You don't want to lift a head off with a bang.

gasser

MuddWeiser said:
I checked with a voltmeter and get 24V at my engine glow plug harness?
I believe that is OK; with the truck off, I get approx 19v where the power goes into my GP soleniod. However, with the GP system on, it goes way down (as the GPs are drawing the power). I believe this is where the resistor on the firewall comes into play - to make sure the system gets the 12v when it's 'on'. Am I off base Ken?

-graham

mangus580

gasser said:
I believe that is OK; with the truck off, I get approx 19v where the power goes into my GP soleniod. However, with the GP system on, it goes way down (as the GPs are drawing the power). I believe this is where the resistor on the firewall comes into play - to make sure the system gets the 12v when it's 'on'. Am I off base Ken?

-graham
You are exactly right, the resistors will drop the voltage only when there is a heavy draw on them.

If you get 9g's, replace them ASAP with the self regulating style so you dont run into swelling issues.

ida34

Some people say to use pure silicone spray as starting fluid. I was going to check this out but my GL truck started right up without help. That is after I replaced the ring gear and starter.

mangus580

Ether can be used as a last resort, ONLY if the glow plugs are unhooked. Silcone generally only works if your glowplugs are trying to work, as me and gasser found out with his.

MuddWeiser

Okay,

I bought the AC Delco 60G Glow Plugs. I have them in my possession right now. I am currently removing the old DEAD GP's Before I thread the new 60G's in (have already trimmed the tabs on them all so the spade connectors fit)

ONLY 1 THING IS CONCERNING ME AT THIS POINT. The Glow Plugs say 10.5 Volts on them. My glow plug harness is delivering 24v at the spade connector = the glowplug would therefore have 24V available to it - will this BLOW UP/MUSHROOM my new glowplugs?

OR

Is that where the self-regulating glow plug comes into play? Does it regulate itself to only use 10.5 volts???

gasser

Mudd, you won't get the full 24V at the GP .... the resistor pack will lower it way down when the GP system on and pulls power - which is key here.

MuddWeiser

Right but I am wondering if my glowplug system isn't working right?

WITH A VOLTMETER; green wire unplugged from glowplug, touch ground and touch green wire with solenoid cycling - VOLTMETER READS 24v then drops to 0 then 24v then drops again to 0 and so on and so forth...

UPDATE:

Now that they are out of the vehicle, 7 out of 8 NO WORKIE! And the one that works has 1780 ohm so probably 8 were dead...

MY FEAR: IS IT LIKELY ALL 8 DIED AT ONCE? or ????

I have now replaced all 8 with a set of AC Delco 60G's . Self Regulating BUT they say 10.5v on the side. MY HARNESS WILL GIVE THEM 24VOLTS. My solenoid/relay says 12V on it YET clearly is receiving 24V at the red wires and the 2 orange wires provide 24v when the relay/solenoid is on - HENCE the glowplug harness delivering the 24V to the glowplug.

WILL THESE AC DELCO 60G's REGULATE THEMSELVES TO THE 10.5v THEY WANT?

I am hoping to verify before I potentially blow $85 worth of GP's.

MuddWeiser

SUCCESS:

I put in 8 new glowplugs. I HAD TO REWIRE MY SYSTEM AS I WAS GETTING 24v AT MY GLOWPLUG SOLENOID/RELAY so if you are reading this with a problem note that.

She fired right up.

THANK YOU MANGUS AND GASSER - and everyone else. for helping me diagnose this.

CCATLETT1984

the resistor on mine had died, fried the plugs. I just ended up pulling power from the 12v lug on the firewall, it puts more stress on the front battery although it shouldn't be enough to make a difference.