• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Winterization Kits???

jhowder8

So I know this has been covered, but I can't find anything.. Is there anywhere you can get the winterization kits for the 1009? Either surplus or reproduction? I can find add-ons but I'd like to go with the originals, since they seem like they really went all out on them..

Ilikemtb999

Apparently my post disappeared? I have a kit I was going to use but I think it's missing some small bits. You can look over the TM's (there is one for the winterization kit)

jhowder8

Most of the time, yes. But we are in a remote area and most of the time when I need this truck our power will likely be out. Trees and ice shut us down out here pretty quick

rsh4364

Well I like the idea of the winter kit, but what would you suggest?
Im no expert but my plans for this winter.Fuel system up to par.Batterys and charging system checked,1000 watt freeze plug block heater,rotella t6 oil,jatonka grill cover,anti-freeze of course,I already have everything done but block heater.My 85 1009 with bad batts,bad IP,and lots of miles actually started down to 10 above,so I expect this one to do much better,I also run power service additive grey bottle summer,white bottle winter.The artic kit is cool,but rather extensive to install.I have even been looking at small generators that I can mount somewhere in back of my 86 1009 to power block heater,incase of power outage,but Im pretty sure it will start down to -10 without the heater.And I cant say how nice the Jatonka grill cover is,I have had mine for years.

Last edited:

jhowder8

I will most likely end up doing something very similar, but I like keeping my military stuff the way they wanted it haha but yes if you want to sell Ilikemtb999, I'm definitely interested

tim292stro

If you can do a quilt (moving blanket, surplus wool blanket, or similar) with a silver or mylar tarp over the hood and base of the windshield, you will be able to keep whatever heat is in the engine and engine compartment there, and insulate the hood from the heat wicking effect of a snow-load. The winter front is a rather cheap addition (<$100), and is totally worth it if you are expecting bitter cold. Cover the windshield too and you shouldn't have to scrape - a full car cover or larger tarp would get you there.

For starting a heating pad under the batteries (or at least some kind of insulator to keep the cold metal battery tray from wicking any heat away), will give you a bit more "oompf" out of the batteries. Remember that the glow plugs suck down about 100-200Watts each (1200 - 1600Watts total) before your starter even gets a chance to spin. That starter will draw between 3kW and 5kW, and cold or frozen batteries will do very little - colder batteries means lower voltage, lower voltage means less RPMs for the starter, less RPMs means less speed on the engine and lower likelihood of compressing ignition. If it's possible to take the batteries out and keep them warm and charged, it'll be worth it. For my money a battery blanket or heating pad is the first thing I'd want to put in.

A small circulation heater that is plugged into 120V power with the defroster vents open will keep both the engine and the cab warm - the drawback with these is that any heat added to the water will eventually open the thermostat and the radiator with remove that heat (see comment about the awesomeness of a winter front!!). A block heater, either freeze plug NPT insert or stick on will heat the block, but without circulating the water with gusto, you may have a cylinder that is left behind with respect to heat. That said, the stick-on silicone oil pan heaters are a terrific addition - all of the heat rises from the warm oil bath, so the bottoms of the pistons directly get some heat. If you can do both a pan heater and a circulating water heater you should be set.

12V and 24V stick on heaters are available, so if you have any clear sky and can do solar or a wind turbine where you park the truck, you can have it running non-stop (as long as the sun is shining or the wind is blowing). Even if it's not enough heat to get it to a toasty 180°F, a truck that starts at -10°F but not at -40°F only needs 30° of heat rise to be effective.

Bonus points if you do a stick on heating pad, circulating coolant heater, winter front insulating blankets over the hood, car cover, and a small passthrough fuel pump that circulates fuel through the IP and back to the tank to keep the fuel from gelling.

Last edited:

tim292stro

IP = injection pump (it should be installed already if your truck runs :beer: )

The little in-line electric pump is a common part found at basically any parts store or other retail establishments that deal with machinery... It basically has check valves inside, so when your engine's lift pump is pulling (also has check valves) the little electric pump acts like a piece of pipe more or less. When the engine is not running the little electric pump will push fuel through the lift pump, the filter, and the IP, and back through the fuel return to the tank. If your engine is warmer than the fuel and tank, basic thermodynamics tells us that the fuel will act like a "coolant" pulling heat away to the fuel tank.

tim292stro

I'm not aware of one, the most common system you will see for that kind of freeze protection is a fuel filter with a heater in it. This keeps the fuel from gelling in the filter or the downstream IP.

Short of putting a heat trace wire on the fuel lines, a heating pad on the tank, and the previously mentioned pump with the engine heat systems is the safest way IMHO to keep the fuel from gumming up. YMMV, other may have other ideas.

Why go outside if it's -40 though [thumbzup]

rsh4364

Thanks tim292stro forgot about batt. heaters,added to my list.And jhowder8 something overlooked sometimes is batt.cable size and condition,my first 1009 suffered cold weather start problems and I was ignorant of these issues,It was my first diesel and cucv,after a lot of reading here I learned a lot.I found some of my batt.cables were only 6 and 8ga.My current 1009 I recenty swapped to all 1-0 gauge cables.