• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV wiper issue

ramcatdoc

I have recently purchased my first CUCV and am new to this forum.

I have a 1985 M1009 with a newly-replaced wiper motor (just six week ago). I replaced it because the washer pump had quit. The wipers and washer initially seemed to work smoothly and quietly, but then today the wipers began to cut off suddenly mid-cycle. The number of cycles it takes to freeze up seems to get smaller each time. I have to turn them off and let them finally reset themselves. I tried unplugging the suppressors as suggested, but they still stop abruptly. I don't get the feeling they are getting stuck mechanically; rather, it seems more electrical.

Any ideas out there?

Last edited:

ramcatdoc

I just put this motor in about six weeks ago. Could it go out that fast? Do I need to get a different make (ie US-made rather than made overseas)?

wired1000

Mine act all kinds of strange, too. Usually they work fine, but sometimes they won't come on at all or they'll go reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slow (like a 60 second trip from "down" to "up"). Very weird, but I haven't really looked into it. Mine are squeaky as all hail so my next step is to oil up the linkage.

You think they might be binding up somewhere due to friction in the linkage?

ramcatdoc

Dont think they are binding: they are smooth and quiet, and when they stop, they will eventually return to down position on their own. Makes me think they are moving freely. Thanks!

ramcatdoc

Ryan77 suggested disconnecting the suppressors that are wired in series between the wiring harness and the wiper motor. I tried this, but the wipers hung nonetheless. I dont see Ryans post here, but it showed up in my Email automatically. Thanks.

wired1000

I had another thought (it was raining in Chicago today, so I was using the wipers). It may be a spotty electrical connection somewhere in the circuit. Maybe try cleaning the contacts wherever they can be found?

Gunnar1071

I had another thought (it was raining in Chicago today, so I was using the wipers). It may be a spotty electrical connection somewhere in the circuit. Maybe try cleaning the contacts wherever they can be found?
:beer: With it being a new motor, I would check this also, 26 y/o wiring may need a little mending.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks