• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV with NP205 transfer cases

Sam27

I'm trying to learn about NP205 cases, mostly because I'd like to swap one into my Blazer, but also just for my knowledge.

A guy on another forum mentioned that the CUCV 205's have the figure-8 input pattern, but also the 32 spline long input. It's my understanding that the 32 spline long input didn't exist for civilian vehicles until 1985, and then it had the round-6 input pattern. I was also told that if I had a figure-8 case, a newer 32 spline input shaft wouldn't even fit the case without machining.

I guess I'd like to understand what aspects of the CUCV 205 are unique to CUCV. Is it a totally unique case compared to civ stuff? Is the input shaft the same as the later civ shafts? Is it the same adapter as civ?

Thanks for any info.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, the 205 equipped CUCVs all had the figure 8 pattern. The round pattern was an 89-91 thing IIRC.

Cucvnut

205's have a higher low gear than a 208 in a cucv, They are iron and heavy and are good Tcases but if you want low gear with one you either need a lowmax gear 205 or build a doubler set up. I would look for a 241 out of a 89 3/4 burban if you want a better tcase than the 208 in your M1009.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm interested to see images of the physical differences, and request some pics so we can all learn a little. Yes, I could do a search. I'll leave it up to you to decide if I am suggesting adding value to this thread or just being too lazy to do a search.

Rick

Sam27

205's have a higher low gear than a 208 in a cucv, They are iron and heavy and are good Tcases but if you want low gear with one you either need a lowmax gear 205 or build a doubler set up. I would look for a 241 out of a 89 3/4 burban if you want a better tcase than the 208 in your M1009.
I understand the trade-off in gearing. With 1-ton axles and TH400, the 205 seems like the right choice in terms of strength. I'm also very interested in losing the slip yoke, and this seems easier on a 205. They have 208 and 241 SYE kits, but they are very expensive, plus the cost of a 241 if I went that route. Doesn't sound like the 241 is a big enough step up from 208 to be worth the trouble unless I got a smoking deal on it.

richingalveston

I do not have any pics of my 208 that I removed but you can look under your truck to see one. here is my 205 with ORD magnum doubler. If you are getting rid of the SY then you will want CV style flanges especially if you are lifting the truck.

Attachments

richingalveston

The plate is a rear support bracket for the 205 made by trail tech fab. It has additional pieces that weld to the plate that has a rubber mount. It is not needed in my setup and I will probably take it off.

There are reports of this bracket causing driveline parts to break because it does not allow enough flex. The motor tranny and t-case all twist slightly when under heavy torque conditions and when you tie the side of the t-case down with this bracket, it can cause things to break. The tranny and t-case need to move together under torque or heavy body flex.

I got the plate and bracket with the 205 when I bought it off the internet. With the ORD magnum, only one cross member was needed. IF you have a 203/205 doubler that normally needs two cross members then the bracket can be helpful but must be built to allow flex.

If you go 205, get the modified rails and twin stick it.

Sam27

Okay, yeah I saw those things for sale. The one I saw had a bushing to provide some flex, but it didn't look like much.

When a 205 is twin stick, is it one stick for 2/4 and one for hi/lo, or one for hi/lo front and one for hi/lo rear? The t-case in my Scout is the former, so it's always twin stick and it's just a matter of removing the interlock.

richingalveston

one is for front axle Hi lo neutral and the other is for rear axle hi lo N. there is an interlock so one cant be in high and the other in low. however rear can be neutral and front in HI or lo.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just purchased an SM465 and 205 case for one of my trucks. I'm about 75% done with parts gathering. 2002ford has an 88-91 crew cab with a 6.2 and SM and reports that it's a world of difference going to the 4 speed. The 1.96 to 1 low won't be so bad with the low first of the 465.

Skinny

The TH400 with a low horse engine also is sluggish, just going to a manual regardless of gearing will make it feel more responsive.

Cucvnut

I just purchased an SM465 and 205 case for one of my trucks. I'm about 75% done with parts gathering. 2002ford has an 88-91 crew cab with a 6.2 and SM and reports that it's a world of difference going to the 4 speed. The 1.96 to 1 low won't be so bad with the low first of the 465.

The 465 will deff help.

86m1028

As far as I know, the 205 equipped CUCVs all had the figure 8 pattern. The round pattern was an 89-91 thing IIRC.
I agree with you on the Cucv's.
I have yet to see a round pattern stock in a Cucv, also all 205's in Cucv's have been slip yoke.

The round pattern came out in 1985 civi trucks.

Drunkle Scuzzy

That magnum box seems like an ideal setup. I am very impressed with the Ultimate adventure, I think it was, truck towing a trailer to the event, wheeling, and towing home. I look forward to seeing some more reviews of it. Definitely one of the modifications I would be interested in...

There is a crossover of a fashion civilian 1 tons and crew cab trucks and or trucks with diesels had fig 8 or race track patterns np205s in them from sometimein early 70s to 87 in trucks but burbs and crew cab trucks had them until 1991 dodge trucks used them until 1993.

Cucvs however used the fig 8 pattern np205 in just about all years between 83-87 which is confusing when compared to the civilian np205 as if you see a tag on a 205 that says 1986 and its a fig8 and you didnt know its milsurp it can screw with your head when ordering parts. as an adapter for a 86 t
np205 would be different depending if its civilan or milsurp.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks