• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV won't prime

Highlanderfarm

So, due to a new job and all I haven't run my cucv for quite a while, almost 8 months or so . Needless to say, it wouldn't start. I assumed it lost prime and after making sure I had the filter full, I opened all of the injector lines and cranked it. Did it a bunch of times, allowing for cooling for the starter. Got about nothing out, no fuel .
It there something in the pump that I can look at, of do I need to just replace the pump-again? It's got an electric fuel pump and an after market filter and housing with an actual hand pump on it. Got fuel right up to the pump(took the hose off to check).
I use this truck to plow my long drive and really need it up and running.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you got fuel coming out of the fuel filter but still trying to get it to come out of the hard lines at each injector. I just went through this last week. Got an engine running that hadn't run since 97. Start with fully charged batteries. I opened 2 on each side and did 15 second turn over times then waited 2 minutes to cool off. It took 5 shots to get anything out of each side then I closed up those 2 and did the others. Once it started smoking I waited to get the glows hot then it stumbled many times before it started. Took an hour or so. This was a completely dry system though so everything needed filled. Are your glow plugs working? Those have to work. Plus don't use starting fluid.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Barrman

Exactly. Make sure the glow plug system is working, fuel in the tank, fuel coming out of the filter to the IP, pink wire attached and powered, both batteries fully charged and even better hooked to a charging source, don’t crank more than 20 seconds at a time and be patient.

I have learned since I am not a patient person to have another project to work on. As in crank the 6.2 for 20 seconds, go work on the other project, take a break by cranking on the 6.2, repeat. It is nicer on the batteries and starter that way.

Highlanderfarm

I tested the pink wire to make sure, power at the tab on the IP (injector pump). Fuel up the the IP, no problem. I will try just cracking one or two lines rather than all of them and give that a shot. Glows work well, on a manual solenoid/switch wired to the "wait to start light", card burned out years ago. This is a rebuilt IP installed in 2020. Been running since, until the last long sit.

Highlanderfarm

Finally had a chance to tackle it head on today. Bled the filter again just to be sure and pulled just one injector line loose. Put a small cup under it and making sure the electric pump was on and running, proceeded to do the crank 30 seconds, rest five minutes routine. Six times, nothing out of the line. Is there something that can get stuck in the injector pump that blocks off fuel? The military manual I have says to make sure it is between 5.5 and 6.5 psi, but I currently don't have a way to measure that. The pump is supposed to be 5-9 psi.

nyoffroad

I wonder if a bit of water was in the IP and caused a bit of corrosion in the pump where the shut off solenoid is and making it stick, come to think about it I saw where you said you had power to the pick wire, but did the hear a click while unhooking /hooking it up? Check for the click and then open the (don't know what to call it ) 'float bowl' and see if fuel is there (should be almost full).

Highlanderfarm

I checked the solenoid yesterday. No click, so I opened up the top and tested it direct and nothing. The other solenoid in the cover works, but no the one that cut off the fuel. Got one on order. The arm assembly in that cover area was a bit sluggish when you manually worked it. I sucked out the fuel and filled it with new clean fuel and it seems to move easily now. Probably gummy fuel or like you said, some water. No signs of corrosion or rust. Crossing fingers that it was this "easy"-once I found it.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's good you found that solenoid not working right. Any chance you checked the rack to make sure it moves? My 83 was not clicking loud and the rack was stuck but once I got it moving the solenoid worked. Got lucky and the gasket survived too.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks