• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv won't shift from park with ignition on but will if not.

dmetalmiki

Try with the key out. Or, try with the brake pedal pressed. (?) Then again what happens if you start it, Then disengage park? .....Waiting to see if any of these (or other sugestions worked....)

nyvram

thanks everyone.

i should explain what's going on here a bit more.

this is the current feedback from the seller of the vehicle (so i'm feeding your questions to him) and i'm asking mainly because we are picking the vehicle up tomorrow and if we could get it to work 'a little' trailer-ing it will be an easier task. i dont think the seller has tried to shift into gear starting from neutral so that's something we might try.

i'm going to show up with 2 new batteries and *possibly* even drag a member from this site with us ;) and we will need to pull it about 2 1/2 hours to home.

i was reluctant to share too much info as the M1008 we tried to buy last week was snatched out of our hands a day before we went to grab it so we were trying to secure the vehicle first before sharing too many details.

knock on wood this works out and we'll have some pics up on here by friday!

Last edited:

nyvram

all the seller said is it will shift into gear if ignition isn't on but won't if it is. i haven't gotten alot more info than that because he has at least one dead battery in it at the moment.

NovacaineFix

If it were me, if my truck had issues shifting in the normal fashion and it was more like a combination lock, I would just drop in a bone-yard column with tilt. It will probably be easier to find the right levers if they break and you have they added feature of the tilt wheel.

On every square body chevy truck I have owned or worked on, issues with columns were rare but when you had one it was really difficult to properly fix one. The key cylinder for the ignition, the cancel cam for the turn signals and the horn button are the probably the most common to fail on any GM column, but when you have a lever or rod that is out of alignment causing shifting issues , it is often very hard to correct, at least from my experience.

A junk-yard column will probably set you back $100 - $150 complete and take maybe 3 hours to change out, if you have problems. The only issues from my time turning wrenches with tilt-columns is the tilt comes loose from use over time, but it is fairly easy to fix.
This may make things much easier then trying to trace out why the key won't turn when it's not in gear.

Good Luck man.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dead battery and won't shift with key in ignition. Sounds like the truck is worth scrap price. ;-)

I agree with changing out the column. Rebuilding a column is a bear.

To to load on the trailer, disconnect the shift linkage in the engine compartment or at the transmission and shift it out of park.

nyvram

i think it will shift into neutral just fine when its not running.

i'm just grabbing a couple of batteries to try shifting from neutral (as suggested by someone) instead of shifting from park when its running.

will definitely report back on what happens.