• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV won't start - guidance needed

Pballer71

The last couple of days here in Michigan have been extremely cold. With wind chill factors up to -40 and the temperature being around -10 at points. When i started my M1009 yesterday totally fine then on the way home she got stuck in a deep snow bank in probably 3 feet of snow. Then this morning i went to start it and it wouldn't turn over. The doghead relay click over but the starter won't turn over. It seems like it wants to but it won't budge. My dad and I believe it might have frozen so it can't move. I was wondering if thats possible or if any one here knows of any other ways of fixing this?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Pballer71

No, we were able to get it out after about an hour yesterday. I got home fine after that pluged it in and then it wouldn't start this morning. The reason i said that about it getting stuck in the snow bank was because it got a lot of snow in the underbody and a lot of it turned to ice this morning so i didn't know if that would have also possibly frozen the starter.

K9Vic

I am not sure if it is an official site rule, but you should not use "HELP" in the title unless you need help right away broken down on the side of the road for example.

goldneagle

Moderator: Can you use the word assistance needed instead of HELP for this thread? I just want to know for future reference.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good chance that when you "entered" the snow drift that snow packed in around the starter. The warm engine melted the snow and the starter froze.

Try turning the engine over by hand (wrench and socket). You may need to remove the starter and check for ice.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moderator: Can you use the word assistance needed instead of HELP for this thread? I just want to know for future reference.
Sounds like a good alternative.

Here is the deal with HELP. This site is different than the majority of websites out there. When a member sees HELP, they read it as 911. They are ready to jump into action and help anyway they can. You really don't see that on other websites.

Also everyone that posts an issue needs help is some form or fashion. We attempt to help everyone.

Pballer71

Yes thank you for the change and the explanation. That would make sense about the snow melting and turning to ice because it did almost everywhere else on the truck. Which way would i need to turn the nut to turn the engine over and about what size would the socket need to be?
Thank you

Anubis8472

Did you get her to fire?

We had that one particularly cold night it got down to -16 here at the house.
The next morning none of my vehicles would fire. It wiped out all 4 of my batteries.
None of them would even take enough of a charge to crank.

It was a long cold walk down to the parts store to carry back a couple new group 31's. Should have brought a sled with me.
After a night warming up in the house the old betteries charged up fine and test good.

Pballer71

Got her going just yesterday since it was a little warmer. What i am assuming what happened was when i went into the snow bank snow got in the engine, so when i got home. All the melted snow froze in the starter and locked it up. I was able to warm it up enough with a heat gun and finally got her to crank over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks