• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Won't Start...Need to get it started fast!

Mike_Pop

I am leaving for a trip today and my CUCV won't start.

Yesterday, the starter relay was acting up and letting the starter continue to run. In order to stop and start it, I just disconnected the relay.

I went out this morning and tried to start it and got nothing. I had a new starter so I put that in. Still nothing.

I tested various points in the system for voltage: I have power to the starterand power to the relay.

I unplugged the relay and tried jumping the red and purple wire with no results. (I have two purple wires coming in plus a red and a black. I'm assuming red is hot, black is ground)

All of my other wires are clean and are not broken.

I'm dumbfounded. Please help since I was supposed to leave for my trip five hours ago!

If anyone wants to call me, I would appreciate that over email.

Thanks

Mike Pop
775-237-5260

Mike_Pop

Many thanks to Bruce in California and Chris Stansbury for calling me. Bruce was able to help me locate a wiring diagram. I started bypassing wires and found that there must have been a break or short in the purple wire off the starter to the relay. I put in a new wire and ran it along the frame then to the firewall instead of along the exhaust to the firewall.

Time to get cleaned up and leave for Albuquerque!

Thanks again,

Mike Pop

acetomatoco

The old purple wire trick again.. I had the same problem on a M1010... The relay under the dash by the ashtray is usually the culprit.. still available from Chebby.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I cut mine out the same week I got it and replaced it with a Furd starter solenoid mounted on the inner fender. It worked for 10 years plus without a hitch.

Bobert

Hey Mike, when you said you "tried to start it and got nothing", Do you mean no lights, buzzes or anything?

Mine did the same thing with the relay, and my m1009 is completely dead.