• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Wont start

NovacaineFix

And if the glow plugs are working it WILL cause considerable damage .
And at 60* degrees it shouldn't need glow plugs to start let alone ether.
True, very true.

It's just a quick and dirty way of testing for a fuel issue.
I wouldn't suggest running the truck on ether, just a quick crank to see if it fires up, then turn it off.

And when I say a squirt, I mean a quick half a second squirt.

>>>>I just want to be clear. I'm not saying my way is the best way or the right way. Not arguing that my way supersedes the procedures in the TM, they don't.
I also am not arguing with your suggestions either, they are good, but I feel that he was getting too many check this, check that.

I always assume that everything is dead or not working until I check it. If it works, one thing checked off the checklist until you find that item(s) that don't.

Last edited:

Abntrooper82

Thanks for all the information guys! So the batteries are good, fuses are good, battery cables are good. I replaced all the glow plugs and the vehicle continues to barely crank (low voltage) and then nothing. Ive been told I most likely burned the starter last time I tried starting it for over a min. I pulled the -20, have the diagram on how to remove the starter.. My question is how the heck to I get to the starter to take it out. It seems as though from underneath there is not a way to get at it. I am mechanically disabled so any forest gump advice would be appreciated.

cucvrus

Disconnect the batteries, Take a 13mm swivel socket and loosen the block bolt on the support bracket. Just loosen it 2 turns. Take the 2 - M10 bolts from the starter nose. They are 15mm heads. Remove the bolts completely. You can go to the main power cable and remove that with a 5/8" or 16MM. The inner small wire is an 11/32" on a direct drive and my be an 8mm/5/16" on a gear reduction starter. With the starter loose. you should be able to swing it back and remove the 11mm/ 7/16" starter stud nut. Carefully remove the starter and be careful not to pinch your fingers. It does help to have the vehicle somewhat lifted from the frame so the front suspension hangs. Some people take the flywheel cover off and the front drive shaft. I never do that. It will come down and out. Take your time.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems as though from underneath there is not a way to get at it.
I'm no mechanic either so here's what may happen. The temps will go down to 0°F just before you're ready to do it. There will be snow or mud under the truck so you'll find a cracked piece of plywood that will leak and eat your tools. Just as you're on your knees sliding it under, you'll bring your head up fast and crack it on the bumper so you get to do the job in some discomfort.

Battery dis-connect is simple enough but a corroded wire will break as you're undoing it so you'll call a buddy and take the first ride to the parts store. You've thought about everything you need, buy more, then go back at it. Once you're laying under the truck without your safety glasses, you'll align your eyes directly under the first bolt and put your wrench on it. The oily, greasy chunks will release and fall directly in your eye. You'll scatter out from under the truck and bang your head on the exact same spot you did before.

Once your eyes are cleaned you'll slide underneath again, only to realize that you took your wrenches out with you....and this time you carefully slide out from under the truck, put your tools in a tray, and slide under again.

Now, to get started, your safety glasses in place, laying on your back you lift your arms up to start wrenching. The pain in your shoulder stops you for a minute so you lower your arms. That was good timing because your phone will ring.......and it's the wife. Being the safe people we are we don't take the phone under the truck so you push yourself out again, smack your head and just as you reach for the phone, she'll hang up. You want call her back because she'll worry so 30 minutes later, you take your phone under the truck and try to remove the first bolt with one hand.

Once the bracket bolt is out and the first big bolt rolls into the mud, you're ready for the somewhat heavy starter to fall and pinch your hand on the exhaust or frame rail. Remove the last bolt and don't worry, It's just a flesh wound, hurts like heck and there's grease in it, but you're nearly done.

In the dark and shadows of the wee area between the top of the starter and the engine, lay the 1st nuts you'll put on when you re-install the starter. I try and remember where they come off, but a guy is upside down, it's dark and the head hurts. Typically, the wires are long enough that you can adjust the dismounted starter and reach the big wrench into the wee void to try and undo the main power wire. The second that big wires comes off, the starter will fall pinching your hand again and straining the small wire that is clearly the brain of the operation. With the tiny nut jammed between the housing and the tension of the wire, you'll lift it with one hand and make 57 turns of the wrench with the other, missing the target nut every second time. The nut is small and it will fall on the nut eating plywood and you'll call your buddy for a second trip to the parts store. You never expected to lose your nut over a small job like this.

With one final pop, it's free. Not free of the truck, just free of it's bolts and wires. You'll wiggle it, turn it, pull it, lift, wiggle, turn and not until you've been distracted by a car driving by and turn your head, will it be yours. At that moment the starter is free and crashes down on your safety glasses ramming them into the bridge of your nose but sparring your bruised cranium. The relief is grand as you roll the starter off your chest and down onto the metal tool tray.....with just the tip of your pinky finger between the crushing surfaces.

All that's left is sliding out from under the truck,........ but you'll pause for a second, close your eyes and be thankful that this was just another easy task.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that story was funny
I'm sure everyone who reads it can relate to it at some point or another.

Whether they'll admit it or not is another story.

NovacaineFix

Everytime I work on a vehicle, no matter the severity or complication, I feel that the neighbors brace themselves for a black cloud of profanity that is about to be rained upon them.

To my neighbors past, present and future, I do apologize, but I need to get this work done somehow. Just bear through the cursing and the loud rage music until next weekend. Sunday you can go into confession for me or just pray my truck(s) doesn't need any more work done.
:usafss:

Oh and by the way, I'll be the first to admit everything in that story plowboy wrote is true. The one thing he forgot is the time that I curse the designer for wrongfully designing such a device and how wrong he is, that is by far one of the most important facts. We in the field are much better engineers than the engineers.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks