• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV wont start

44CCKW

I have a Cucv Blazer that has been giving me problems with starting.It would always start but I would have to cycle the glow plugs two or three times before it started.This was common in hot and cold weather.I decided it might be time to change the glow plugs and fuel filter.This didnt make much of a difference,Still hard to start for the past few days after the changes.Now it wont start at all.The glow plugs cycle,You can hear the solinoid click,But it will not start.I am suspecting a bad glow plug relay.Could this be it??

86k10

Mine had a spell of the relay not working when i wasn't driving it everyday. I would have to turn the key on and off maybe 4 or 5 times before it worked, but now that i'm driving it everyday it works all the time. Yeah you could hear the relay click but the glow plugs were not working. First thing i would check is for power at one of your glow pugs to make sure the relay is working.

The G Man

I ran into this on a HMMWV, and the problem was the check valve in jector pump for the fuel return line was not allowing fuel to return to tank. This prevented the injector pump from working. If might be worth checking out. It is black nipple on top of pump that has fuel return line running to it. The check valve I have seen are glass, so they are hard to see. however once removed apply a little pressure and make sure it will move. Maybe this will help.

If the glowplugs are cycling, then the realy is working.

86k10

glad to hear you got it going, probably was doing the same as mine, relay was clicking like it was working but no power getting to glow plugs. And another thing with mine when it did that, the wait light would not go off even though you could hear the relay click.

1stSarge

Welcome jdnodo !

Just outside of Mount Vernon here.

Yes, the st85 will work fine. The other number that everyone likes is the s603 from BWD. Check Advance Auto for that one.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The small orange wire is shown to be attached with the red wire. WRONG

It needs to be attached with the two large orange wires

Attachments

jdnodo

So yesterday i get the old beast running take it to mt father in laws and we found for bad glow plugs.This morning I turn it to wait and I dont here any clicking from the relay until after the wait light went out and the truck was running. Also the turuck did put out some white smoke. I put ac delco 60g "s in it.My 1009 does sit outside and it got down to 0 degrees last night. should I be worried about the relay now?

edgebar

same issue

had same issue, replaced relay with st85, wired it correctly,but then it would clic on and off over and over, and was sending , 24v, 9v .2v, 0v etc from bottom(orange) wires out to plugs. disconnected top red lead from 24v buss bar and attached it to the 12v stud available just above the relay on firewall. it then worked correctly.
installed 8 new 60g plugs and new connecdtors, works terrific now.

doghead relay will be done today.

jdnodo

The only thing i can think is the glow plugs dont have to cycle as much cuz they are all working. Ill let it sit for a while and start it this afternoon and see whats happens

jdnodo

So im lost will the relay click while the wait light is on or after my 1009 gets started will it click if everything is working ok. I changed 4 glow plugs that were bad and now the relay doesnt click until the truck is running and then my volt meter goes up.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way to know for sure if the relay is working correctly is to attach a voltmeter and check the voltage. Just hearing a click means nothing. Is it clicking when it energizes or de energizes. I can't tell by listening.

Barrman

It reads as if yours does the same as mine. No clicking related to the light coming on and off, the truck starts right up and sometime in the first 30 seconds to 1 minute of running a click can be heard and the volt meter jumps up to the green from just below the green in the yellow.

Warthog is correct that the only way you will "know" what the clicking means is to use a volt meter on the relay itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks