• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Wreck and Rebuild

HalfaLehman

This sucks! So I let someone borrow my m1009 the other day and it didnt end well. No one was hurt and the damage is fixable. Other than a bent fan the engine survived. The radiator is screwed but luckily I have a spare. The body panels and rad support are easy to come by. The frame has a nice bend in it, nothing a good plate and weld wont fix.

If nothing else this gives me an excuse to install the turbo setup Ive been sitting on for a few months now so thats a plus. And whomever had this thing apart before me(Im guessing the prison) I love you. Everything is coming apart so easily, antisneeze on every bolt, so nice.

20131102_141130.jpg20131102_151752.jpg20131102_151946.jpg20131102_152008.jpg20131102_165616.jpg20131102_165628.jpg20131104_160537.jpgDSC02131.jpgDSC02132.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch!!!

So did he hit the minivan also? Looks like the house survived.

You may want to have a shop look at the frame. It looks a little banged up.

HalfaLehman

Yeah he totaled the trailblazer too. I work in a truck shop and had our frame guy check it out. Im going to get him a piece of frame and hes going to bolt a piece of channel along the inside of the rail to join the pieces and then weld the seam on the outside the same way we fix the tractor trailers.

zout

Your probably already going to do this - but anytime one of our units gets in a front end collision the steering gear box is pulled and sent for inspection.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sucks big time. :-( The unfortunate experience you are having is the primary reason I don't let anyone borrow any of my vehicles. I'm even hesitant about authorizing my mechanic to take my cars and trucks for test drives.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, how did your insurance handle this one?

jw4x4

The windshield does not appear to be cracked. That is a good sign that the tweakage wasn't too bad. Sounds like you are at the right place to make sufficient repairs. Keep us posted by taking lots of pics.

HalfaLehman

Update

So I had a rather productive weekend. I picked up a piece of frame at the local u-pull it for $20, along with a new engine fan, and some turbocharged goodies. We cut out the bent part of the frame and ground off the rivets on the front crossmember on the drivers side to pull it off as one unit. We did the same to the frame from the junkyard, and with a little measuring and grinding it was lined up, tacked in place, and the the plate was drilled and bolted on. So besides a bit of welding the frame repair is pretty much done.

DSC02134.jpgDSC02135.jpgDSC02136.jpgDSC02137.jpgDSC02138.jpgDSC02139.jpgDSC02140.jpgDSC02141.jpgDSC02143.jpg

Attachments

HalfaLehman

Some more updates

So Im really liking how this project is coming together. The frame repair is complete(Frame repair?! What frame repair!) I have the turbo in place to mock up for the crossover and exhaust, 6.5 injectors installed, turbo oil drain from a banks kit in place, along with a new lift pump, and a few other odds and ends. Now only waiting for the longer exhaust manifold bolts I ordered from GM for the turbo side to show up and ill be golden. Feels like its taking forever!

DSC02154.jpgDSC02158.jpgDSC02160.jpg

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! :-D I am truly amazed with your skills. The frame looks AWESOME!! [thumbzup] You do great work! That truck will look better than factory fresh by the time you're done with it!

I know your in PA, but have you thought about installing A/C while you have the truck torn down to the frame? It's a lot easier to cut the hole in the firewall for the evaporator without the fender in the way.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My compliments to your truck shops frame guy. Great work.

You will be back on the road in no time.

Can I borrow your truck? I'm a great driver. ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks