• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv zerostart coolant heater...help

jimmy-90

I recently got a zerostart coolant heater/pump for my 1028 with 5/8" inlet and outlet nipples for hose to go to. My question is where to mount it and which part of the cooling system to hook it into?

jimmy-90

Im thinking I want to hook it into the drain plug on the engine and run it to the heater hose. Only problem is I don't really know where the drain plug is on my 6.2L.

4bogginchevys

hey, i'll take a crack at this, I bought a very similiar unit and wanted to use it on my 1008. After careful consideration (4 of us stood there and thought about it), I decided to return the coolant heater of that style and planned to go with a freeze plug style heater. We all concluded that 1. If you were to follow the directions perfectly, you cant just tap into a heater hose per directions, they say that will void warranty because they want it tapped into a hose at or near bottom of radiator(for gravity effect so heater doesn't run dry). The heater hose from rad to core is out because it wont heat engine....the heater hose from core to motor is out because of gravity rule.......all that left was the lower radiator hose, and that was not possible because of 5/8 in and out nipples. We did conclude that the heater could be utilized if you connected lower rad hose with 1 core hose but that would make a short cut for coolant, this would either result in poor heat from core, or poor cooling for the motor. I took the directions very literally, and decided it was a better setup for a non diesel/non military style truck because of how they factory routed the hoses. I'm sure 5 poeple on here can say they've had good luck with the inline style, just didn't work for me. the last deciding factor against that unit was that it will take up moooorrrre space under the hood and my 1008 doesn't have alot to give, come to think of it, the freeze plug heaters might even be a little cheaper. The heater I returned was 60.00. Good luck

Blood_of_Tyrants

The only place that I can think of that would work would have to be the heater hoses. If you put it in so that it flowed BACKWARDS into the block first instead of into the heater core or radiator, would the heater still allow the coolant to flow properly when you ran the engine? I would contact the manufacturer and ask for tech support and ask them this question.

4bogginchevys

if that question was for me, than I have to say no.....the directions say not to put anything in backwards/reverse, as pump/heater is directional and performance of the unit will suffer, hence forth a voided warranty. I would be curious to know of some of the installs poeple have done on these units with success.

allrevup

I just went with the HD 600 watts block heater (Detachable insulated cable), on the second engine freeze plug front to rear on the driver side. On a different note recently there was a tread here of someone using a second one on the passenger side as he resided in a very cold place and someone else supplementing this with the magnetic blanket type that attachés to engines oil pan , batteries and transmission pan, with positive results. A timer set for a couple hours before you are going to start it is usually sufficient

Last edited:

jwaller

I used the freeze plug heater in my 6.2. one in each side of the motor. keeps my motor about 110 degs in 30 deg weather. I love it.