• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV2 Manuals

Garryowen17!!

Garry,

The document plainly states:

No part of this manual may be reproduced, stored in any retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means (including but not limited to electronic, mechanical, photocopying, and recording) without the prior written permission of General Motors Corporation. This applies to all text, illustrations and tables.

Have you done that? I will remove the manual, until I hear from you.
BLUF the worst that could happen is GM could ask us to take it down.

I have not requested permission as I have no idea whom to request it from. This is standard boilerplate to keep me from selling GM manuals.

As an anonymous work, the manual has a valid copyright for 95 years from the date of publication. However, websites hosting copyrighted material posted by users are exempt from lawsuits under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-105publ304/pdf/PLAW-105publ304.pdf

I personally am theoretically liable for infringement, but GM would have to demonstrate that they were financially damaged by such infringement. Since I’m not selling the manual, and neither is GM, this would be very difficult. Ethically, the manufacturer has an interest in publishing safe instructions to as many people as possible, and it will likely result in additional sales of GM products (i.e. free advertising). Therefore, I have a clear conscience about it. Is that helpful?

Garryowen17!!

BLUF the worst that could happen is GM could ask us to take it down.

I have not requested permission as I have no idea whom to request it from. This is standard boilerplate to keep me from selling GM manuals.

As an anonymous work, the manual has a valid copyright for 95 years from the date of publication. However, websites hosting copyrighted material posted by users are exempt from lawsuits under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-105publ304/pdf/PLAW-105publ304.pdf

I personally am theoretically liable for infringement, but GM would have to demonstrate that they were financially damaged by such infringement. Since I’m not selling the manual, and neither is GM, this would be very difficult. Ethically, the manufacturer has an interest in publishing safe instructions to as many people as possible, and it will likely result in additional sales of GM products (i.e. free advertising). Therefore, I have a clear conscience about it. Is that helpful?
I appreciate you being vigilant for the welfare of the site. I asked our local JAG for a legal opinion - I’m not that bright.

Just for everyone’s knowledge, as soon as money is involved - whole different problem. If anyone is currently printing and selling a manual, or if you start printing or distributing for profit, whole different ballgame legally and ethically.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate you being vigilant for the welfare of the site. I asked our local JAG for a legal opinion - I’m not that bright.

Just for everyone’s knowledge, as soon as money is involved - whole different problem. If anyone is currently printing and selling a manual, or if you start printing or distributing for profit, whole different ballgame legally and ethically.
I ran into a similar issue with HDT/DRASH on some generators I picked up a long time ago. They were special forces models and the manufacturer didn't want to give me the manuals for national security crap. I had to contact one of the executives of HDT and said something like, "So I can own the physical generator and all its' components that I purchased legally from the US Government but I can't own the manual on how to operate and maintain them." They even made me send a picture of them in my yard because they could not believe DRMO would surplus them. Ended up getting the manuals and buying a couple grand worth of specialty parts from them afterwards.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks